The Morlands from Stranraer area of Wigtownshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Morlands from Stranraer area of Wigtownshire

Would love to connect up with any Morland researchers.

John McMorland B 1702 where I can get back to.
    Have really good info from Thomas Morland B 1756 who was married to Mary Sprott D 1812

There are a few legs from here but I head down the path of John Morland B 1788 married to McCredie
    One of johns sons, William Morland married to McCulloch
    One of Williams sons, David Morland B 1850 who married Elizabeth McKinnon and moved into the Glasgow area later parts of 1800`s.
    David & Elizabeth had 11 children and all generally raised around the Glasgow area.
    I came through there son Thomas Morland B 1881 who married Margaret Young
    They had 2 sons ... One was David Ross Morland B 1920 & D 1990
    David Ross Morland being my Grandfather..
    I have much info on the family of David Morland & Elizabeth Kinnon as well as much info on the wider Morland family who have settled in around the world in America, Australia, Canada, New Zealand.

If there is anyone interested in connecting or has information relating to this family I would love to hear from you and would be a pleasure to share info.

Many Thanks
    Scott Morland
    Auckland
    New Zealand

Welcome to the Forum Scott,
    You can add your names to the section covering Surname Research and anyone looking up those names can send you a PM http://www.familytreeforum.com/forum...rname-Research

Edna

Comment

Can add quite a bit to this now .. Thomas Morland B 1755/56 died in 1841, Laid to rest in the Old parish Cemetery in Inch, It is proven that Thomas father was John McMorland who lies next to Thomas in among 4 plots together all linked in family history.. The twist with Thomas is that his mother is unknown.. John McMorland whos first wife was Agnes Wallace (she died in 1748) We know of Thomas link to John through various pieces of evidence ..
      1. 4 graves together all Morland relations through the 1700`s to 1800`s
      2. Provost Charles Morlands Will - Letters from his trustees to the American Morland spelling out inheritance left to Thomas Morlands (1755-1841) children - John, Robert, Thomas & Sarah.. Note that Provost Charles Morland was the grandson of John McMorland (1702-1781) - This supports that Thomas is related
      3. Provost Charles Morland had a few siblings and the last one of his siblings when they dies.. Agnes Morland D 1864 and the informant of Agnes death was in fact Thomas Morlands son "Robert" and Robert signs himself off as infomant as Agnes Morland HALF cousin .. which takes us back to Roberts father Thomas (1755-1841) as then being half brother to Agnes & Provost Charles Morlands father (Who was also named John McMorland (Son to John McMorland 1702-1781)- married to a Margaret Kerr)....

The Morland Legacy includes much history with mixed life experience and characters.. I share some highlights of the family as follows..
      Thomas Clement Morland was born on November 9th, in the year 1839, in the town of Stranraer which is located within the Wigtownshire area of Scotland. He married Elizabeth McBroom on February 2nd, 1863, in the Ayrshire town of Girvan. Thomas & Elizabeth had nine children together. Thomas died on November 28, 1896, at the relatively young age of 57, and was laid to rest in Green Island Cemetery, Dunedin, Otago. His wife Elizabeth McBroom died April 14th 1902 in Green Island, Dunedin.
      I think worthy of providing some general background to Thomas Clement Morland`s wider family and roots. He was the son of Robert Morland and Anne Lawson. His father, described as a master Joiner was from Stranraer and his mother was from the Hunting Tower estate in Perth. His Uncle Thomas Morland who was married to Ann Darling also a joiner by profession spent a large part of his working career (abt 50 years) under the employment of Sir Andrew Agnew within the estate of Lochnaw Castle. His Uncle John Morland who was married to a Jane McCredie was described as a Sawyer by profession, someone who worked with the cutting of wood. It’s maybe appropriate to mention that this is my link through John Morland who is my 4 x Grt Grandfather. His Aunt Sarah Morland was married to Humphrey Humphries and he was also a joiner. This was actually a family that would experience some tragedy later in life. Thomas had quite a few cousins and on the evidence obtained we can see that some of the cousins remained in contact. We can see in history that Thomas Clement Morland`s brother who was a William Morland travelled to North America listed as a merchant and he connected with older cousin, Montreal based Thomas Morland. We can also see that family photos from far afield were shared with images of Montreal based Thomas Morland and Boston based second cousin Dr William Wallace Morland in the possession alongside a great collection of old photos passed down through the NZ family with Juliet Carrington having been the custodian of these wonderful images.
      Thomas Clement Morland`s grandfather was believe it or not, another Thomas Morland born abt 1755 who married Mary Sprott. His Grandfather died in the year 1841 and his grandmother had actually died before Thomas Clement Morland was born in the year 1812.
      It is very interesting in reading Uncle Thomas Morland`s Obituary which was a wonderful detailed account of his life, there is a mention that Thomas Clement Morland`s Grandparents were described as godly parents. We can see evidence of strong links through other parts of family history to the church.
      I think that it is appropriate in making reference to Thomas Clement Morland`s Grt Grandfather a John McMorland who died well before Thomas was born, however interesting history of John McMorland born abt 1702 and died in the year 1783. I think it is worth noting of information passed down through the American Morland`s that John McMorland fought in the Austrian War of Succession campaign 1740 to 1748 under the command of The Earl of Stair. It is detailed that he was a Calvary Officer and given he served in this period he may very well have been in attendance at the 1743 Battle of Dettingen in Bavaria, Germany where King George led the army into battle. It is stated in history that King George was the very last British Monarch to lead an army into battle which happened to be this very battle.
      It has strong merit in making reference to what I consider an important Morland figure in history. He was the Provost Charles Morland of Stranraer who died in the year 1847. There is much I can share of this man and his family but he was a successful banker and very possibly he was the equivalent in today’s status of being a millionaire. His links to the families is of enormous interest as is his substantial will that he left which links to the American and our own Morland families. This helps to glue somewhat this past history together. His will provides much interest. Along with letters from his trustees in the matter of his will acquired. Provost Charles Morland`s father a John Morland was half brother to Thomas Clement Morland`s Grandfather. In effect he was the half cousin to Thomas Clement Morland`s father. In fact Thomas Clement Morland`s father in 1864 was the informant to Provost Morland`s sister Agnes Morland in her death registration and referred to as Half Cousin on the certificate. Slightly further down the family tree line and second cousin to Thomas Clement Morland`s children we have arguably our most famous Morland in General Sir Thomas Lethbridge Napier Morland Born in Montreal in 1865, he played his part in various war campaigns having seen military action in West Africa in the late 1800, early 1900`s also seeing action in the Great War.. Recently a book was published on General Morland and a fascinating read based on personal letters and his diary documented through the Great War campaign – He was Son to Montreal Thomas Morland...
      Finishing on the highlighted Morland`s and their families just briefly mentioned, it’s amazing to follow that they branched out all over the world, Scotland, England, Canada, America, Australia and New Zealand are noted.

Comment

Working...
      X