Opening Family Trees to all i.e. "Sharing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Family Trees to all i.e. "Sharing"

Re the title "Sharing" - every now and again I feel guilty that my Tree is not public but I am wary of opening it, not because I don't like to share, I am all for it BUT, for the "start of my life" which was slightly unusual to be left off, it would be a Tree without a beginning. I do share it with people (and there are a group) who are researching one of the same families or something but I have checked and none have ever put anything about me on their own Trees and I have never put anything on about anyone else whose Tree I have access to. I think ancestry makes you dead if there is no date of death? All appropriate boxes are ticked anyway.

Having said that, I was shocked to see a couple of days ago, a website with my name on it! Something called GENi - never heard of it, never used it and never seen it before. Has my dob if I remember correctly.

I also noticed, quite a while ago, that when I logged into the Mormon site (which I had never done before because it can be used without logging in so I never had) because it is such a public site I didn't use my own name but the moment I put my never used before username in and had to follow it with E-address (which they have never had before), it immediately responded by saying "Hello Susan" ................where the heck did that come from.
    Even worse I decided to have a look at their family Trees which seem to be totally public and the first thing I saw was my own name - I have never put a Tree on FSOrg - I notice it has been added to with info I recently put on my Private Ancestry Tree ............how very peculiar. Perhaps I shouldn't worry about my ancestry Tree being Private or Public.
    I have challenged FSOrg and they say they are looking into it!

Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 05-02-15, 15:46.

Hi Sue,
    I don't like sharing my tree as in the early days on BBC I heard so many scare stories about other peoples trees being swallowed whole and added to a wrong person and the tree owner asked for them to remove it all giving reasons why it was wrong and they were abused and the tree left attached, I have come across people who have put photos of relatives up and people have stolen the photo and attached it to their own tree giving it a whole new name.
    I shared a lot of new found research with a contact though it was not available on a visual tree as I had not by then added the info, but the contact added all my new findings and gave it out to others on Ancestry so now people are attached to the wrong person.

Last week while helping my friend put a new tree together as she had not done one before I found her on an Ancestry tree with all her personal info and a photo of her that had been taken recently, plus photos of her children and grandchildren, all their marriage and re marriages and children all living and laid bare to the world, she thinks it has been put there by a Nephew of her's and is livid but not yet had the chance to got it all taken off.

Take care what you put where and I hope FSO get It cleared up for you

Edna

Comment

I do not share either, having been burnt badly in my early days on the internet, when I gave someone access to my tree and they copied the lot, including some remarks I had made about my parents' marriage. I was very taken aback that a contact had thought it was alright to publish those comments. I've also seen my tree and my relatives tacked onto the wrong lot of ancestors which drives me mad.

Nowadays, I grill anyone who reckons they might be related to me and if I am satisfied that they have done their research properly, I give them information regarding that bit of the tree. I never open the whole of my tree to anyone because NO-ONE, other than my brother, is related to both my mother and my father, so they don't need to see my full tree.

I did once have a good laugh at all this. Someone contacted me about a hobby tree I have, telling me that so-and-so had a marvellous tree containing all these people and more and what a fantastic researcher he was. I had a look at his tree - and he had copied most of it word for word from my (online) tree, including the words "I have a letter in my possession which states blah blah blah..." I told the first contact to ask the marvellous researcher for a copy of this letter, because I knew it was MY letter, not his. Funny, never heard another word from either of them.

OC

EDIT - and why is it called SHARING, when all I ever do is give and all they ever do is take!
      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 05-02-15, 18:30. Reason: afterthought

Comment

I have a private tree on Ancestry and was always very willing to share it with anyone who was a relative until one of my trusted relatives reminded me that my information could then be added to a public tree for all to see. This was after one of my tree sharers, having identified my name and the names of my sibs, then proceeded to put our full names and dobs on his tree. I asked him to remove them but the said, and it appeared to be true, that we were the only ones to see this. Still made me feel uncomfortable.

I wonder Sue if the info that Family Search came from that Mundai site or is it now defunct.

Vera
        Last edited by vera2013; 05-02-15, 19:32.

Comment

Interesting - the above. I haven't had any awful experiences and would rather share than be secretive - a lot of people have shared with me. I have double checked that every guest is "UNABLE TO SEE LIVING PEOPLE" and made a few of the dead "rise again" so that they cannot be viewed! What annoyed me was seeing my name on FSOrg and GENi (whatever the latter is).

Nowadays, I grill anyone who reckons they might be related to me (Quote from OC)
          OC - I think I may be your Granny - can you put me on your Tree?????????????

Sue
          Last edited by Sue1; 05-02-15, 19:46.

Comment

Sue

LOL! In order to be my granny you'd have to be at least 150 years old.

(A bit off topic but I have no fears about my info being compromised on GR. My latest hotmatch is:

Contact has: Arabella unknown c1157
            Your tree: Thomas Green 1835.)

OC

Comment

My dear grandaughter ............. I AM 150 years old - at least I feel it at the mo!

You have a good reliable hotmatch there if it comes from my Tree - don't know who the heck he is though -do you?

Sue
              Last edited by Sue1; 05-02-15, 22:00.

Comment

Did somebody say Thomas Green? I'm sure I found a Thomas Green in my tree once. Don't go anywhere, I shall check my notes - we are bound to be related.
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie

No, Thomas Green is mine. To match him you'd have to have Arabella Unknown born c1157!

OC

Comment

Silly! ;)
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

OC and Chrissie,

You are quite wrong here I'm afraid - Thomas Green I can assure you is one of mine - there ARE some Greens on my Tree and I think my Arabella is considerably older than yours OC! Presumably you also have Tarquin, Arabella's spouse.

Clearly, Chrissie, OC and I are related!

Sue

Comment

What about Tarquin del Garter...................he is Arabella's not Mr. Green!

Sue ROLCGU - (for the "challenged" - "Roll Over Laughing Can't Get Up!)

Comment

I have a Thomas Green in my tree, married Susan...

Comment

I am the same as OC.......................

my tree on ancestry is private, although others following my father's family are not as careful

I quiz anyone who claims a relationship very very carefully, and then send them that branch, or part of the branch

This is one of my favourite matches from GR, September last year

My relation
                            Joseph Cadd

Y.O.B 1758
                            Place of Birth: Hillesden, Buckinghamshire
                            No. of Children: 1

Possible match
                            Ralph Bodily

Y.O.B 1662
                            Place of Birth: Whittlebury, Northamptonshire, England
                            No. of Children: Find out more

:D :D
                            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Geni was formed in 2007 and was one of the first sites to concentrate on collaborative family tree building with the intention on creating a world family tree.
                              It was taken over in 2012 by My Heritage which was founded in 2005.

It is not really surprising that your name and DoB would be on that site.

Cheers
                              Guy
                              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                Chrissie
                                No, Thomas Green is mine. To match him you'd have to have Arabella Unknown born c1157!
                                OC
                                I've got a Lignum Vita 1805 - Snow Alley 1808 and a Millitrana 1814. Surely they must count for something? I'm sure I could find an Arabella if I looked hard enough.

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
                                What about Tarquin del Garter...................he is Arabella's not Mr. Green!

Sue ROLCGU - (for the "challenged" - "Roll Over Laughing Can't Get Up!)
                                That's made my day :D
                                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

and there is now a tie-up between MyHeritage and familysearch.org

Comment

Thanks Guy, Never heard of GENi until I came across it by accident and certainly didn't sign in - I was actually using the "link" on Ancestry to search for a possible mention anywhere on the internet for a person on my Tree.
                                    As for FSOrg - I wonder whether they are actually connected to Ancestry.co.
                                    Quite frankly it is not the end of the world just irritating!

Sue

Comment

If there is a connection between these two companies, then that is the answer I imagine. I wonder if My Heritage and/or FSOrg are connected to Genes Reunited - a long time ago I started a Tree on their - different username and password and probably different E-address.
                                      Managed to get into it yesterday to try and erase it - it was completely incorrect anyway (my first effort at genealogy). Incredibly difficult to erase a Tree - have to go through all the small print and legaleese. I actually couldn't find the way to erase to begin with so altered my own name and several others on the Tree (Tarquin and Arabella may have been used). Even though I did erase it eventually, as with any website where you put/build a Tree I strongly suspect you cannot erase totally and copy is kept.

Oh Dear - must be getting paranoid! Sue

Comment

First (and second) rule of using the internet ...

1) Nothing you post online is ever really private
                                        2) Nothing you post online can ever be completely deleted.

Work to those and you will be OK !
                                        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                                        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
                                        X