William York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William York

Hi guys, is it possible that I could pick your brains for something please? I've found a couple of census records for William York born in Shropshire 1829, who apparently married an Elizabeth Papman in 1842, in York, the birth years on the census records are 1829 for William & 1832 for Elizabeth but that can't be true can it? It would have made Elizabeth 10 when she married and 12 at the first child's birth.

I've found a few trees who all seem to be relying on the census records as proof for Elizabeth rather than the marriage, I did find it with all the names there. I would just attach it to the tree but I'd rather not attach an unknown record.

Thank you.
    Last edited by lennon2011; 04-02-15, 14:20.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Canon law of the church set the minimum age for marriage as 12 for girls and 14 for boys (subject to parental consent), but marriages at that age would be very very rare - this was raised to 16 for both sexes by the Marriage Act 1929.

I would want to see some very convincing evidence to even consider this was the same couple but you would need to get the 1842 marriage certificate to establish the age of the parties, which I notice none of the people quoting this "fact" in their trees seem to have done.
    Last edited by AntonyM; 04-02-15, 16:01.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

They have just picked the wrong marriage. He is unmarried in 1851 and the oldest child is 7 in 1861, so you're looking for a marriage around 1852 or 53. The one in 1852 at Leyburn fits, especially as Elizabeth is born Redmire (from the 1861) and that is in Leyburn registration district. So she is Elizabeth Horn, not Papman.
      Rick

Comment

Some families did let their children marry at a young age if perhaps they couldn't afford to keep them at home, I have a couple of marriages of 12 to 14 year olds in my family tree.

I did take a look at them but could find nothing about Elizabeth except the marriage.

There is also a William York married to an Elizabeth Passman rather than Papman that you may want to take a look at.

William York
        Spouse's Name: Elizabeth Passman
        Event Date: 17 May 1842
        Event Place: Saint Laurence, York, York, England
        Father's Name: Thomas York
        Spouse's Father's Name: John Passman
        Last edited by PDennis; 04-02-15, 16:09. Reason: additional information

Comment

Thank you all for the replies, I'll just leave it as Elizabeth ? to be safe and add the census records that are more reliable for now.
          Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Working...
          X