Please can anyone decipher this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please can anyone decipher this

Going to attempt to add a document which I cannot read. It appears to relate to family Myhills of Catfield, Norfolk.jpg ancestors in Catfield, Norfolk with the name Myhill/Churchman etc:

Myhills of Catfield, Norfolk.jpg

It would appear I have failed as usual! I was going to ask if anyone else could help me to read it!

Sue

Oops - I do appear to have cracked it but x2!
    Last edited by Sue1; 30-01-15, 11:49.

Sue

Tried to put up a bigger one but it didn't work.

Wm Myhill of Catfield single man and Elizabeth Cham?bers of ?the same Parish single woman were
    married June 22nd by licence.

Vera
    Last edited by vera2013; 30-01-15, 12:17.

Comment

As Vera but I am sure that is ..... Churchman of the said parish ....
      original image here: slightly better.
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 30-01-15, 12:36.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

view in the AT's

Kat

Comment

That's better Kat. So its John Myhill and Elizabeth Churchman but does the second say widow

Vera

Comment

Interesting - one says singlewoman , the second (the Archdeacons Transcript) does say widow.

I would tend to go with the Parish Register, as that is the original document - but something to be investigated.
            Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
            Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Putting the cat amongst the pigeons, eh Vera!! Yes it does say Widow. The AT's will have been the copied ones (with Widow). The first are the original parish records - (Single woman).

snap Anthony!
              Last edited by Katarzyna; 30-01-15, 13:19.
              Kat

Comment

It was also usual for the vicar to keep a day book (which rarely survive) and keep notes of events as he went along and then transcribe those into the Parish Register once a week/fortnight/month etc. so strictly speaking even the PR may not be the actual "original" record. I would keep an open mind and look out for a previous marriage, just in case.
                Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

The marriage licence/bond should state if the bride was a widow or spinster (I think).
                  Families Intrested in
                  Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

Now that you have mentioned all the names that you could read I have some clues:

William Myhill b1685 - 1770 - m - Mary Crowe b 1697 - d1778 - marriage 22.7.1714 Catfield

Thomas Myhill m Susan (or Susanna) Lane - marriage Waltham Abbey (no date for that)

John Myhill b1718 - d1808 - m - Elizabeth Churchman b1718 Catfield - d24.2.1760 Norfolk - marriage: 22 January 1742 - probably Catfield

Will look for more - I am sorry to have asked you this now - I just couldn't read it at all. Have to admit I copied it off a Tree and then noticed it was in many Trees - checked them all - none have transcribed.

Sue - I probably have actual dates of death rather than the year if that would be helpful.
                    Last edited by Sue1; 30-01-15, 13:56.

Comment

Thank you all.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                      X