1561 Map of London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1561 Map of London

Ancestors in London? Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I could find no reference in the forums. This site

has a zoomable interactive map of London as made by Ralph Agas (1540-1621) and it is fascinating. The reference comes from the current issue of the WebUser computer magazine

David

Thank you David for the link.

I love maps and that one is absolutely fascinating. I particularly like the 'streets' option and I was surprised how few taverns there were, perhaps they haven't all been 'found'.

Chris
    Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Thank you for posting this - we do have a link to another version of it on our London and Middlesex page through Mapco > London maps:

MAPCO Map And Plan Collection Online : Civitas Londinum - London And Westminster c1563.

We generally only post the Home pages of sites unless they are especially difficult to navigate.

I noticed while looking though, that there a couple of broken links on the Maps section of the page which need fixing .... so time for housekeeping soon and I will see if I can include this link.

If you come across any other useful links, the best place for posting them is in the comments box on a relevant page as otherwise they may be missed.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

That is superb. Thanks David.
        Rick

Comment

If you enjoy this map I recommend reading 'A survey of London written in the year 1598 by John Stow'. It's a detailed description of the city and like the map is a valuable record of the city before the great fire. Read it and use this map to follow his route and then spot the buildings he is describing - all well worth while.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
            If you enjoy this map I recommend reading 'A survey of London written in the year 1598 by John Stow'. It's a detailed description of the city and like the map is a valuable record of the city before the great fire. Read it and use this map to follow his route and then spot the buildings he is describing - all well worth while.
            Here's a link to the original Stow: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/no-...ndon-stow/1603

and the later Strype version of Stow's survey

and the map to go with it:

Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
            X