Clara Sophia Rayner b. 1837

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clara Sophia Rayner b. 1837

This is my last effort on behalf of this lady!

In 1859 Clara Sophia Rayner married Samuel Taylor Pittock - she was widowed ?which year (there is more than one Samuel Taylor Pittock and my one is the one born in Kersey, Suffolk - the other is born in Manningtree, Essex and is NOT mine one). I do not have this certificate entry but Clara has 7 little Pittocks.

In 1883 Clara married Edward Lloyd Summers (marriage entry) attached above.
    She married him in Newington, Surrey and the entry is curious - she is a widow, creative with her age and states her name is Clara Sophia Theobald - she had obviously either married again or perhaps lived with someone of that name. Her father and his occupation are correct.

I am totally unable to find a marriage to Mr. Theobald! Would it have been legal to have a common law "marriage" and use that name on your next marriage certificate? (my husband's theory!)
    There are no children with the name Theobald (or, eventually, Summers).
    NB ancestry have incorrectly transcribed the marriage cert - the original is different from the transcription.

Clara Sophia was born in Great Baddow, Essex to Mary Ann Rowland b 1801 and Henry Rayner b 1801 G. Baddow a farmer. Clara herself was born in 1837 in Gt. Baddow, Essex.

I have not found Clara's death - perhaps she married again!

NB since I am not very good at putting attachments on or links - if this cannot be read, please can someone tell me how I should be doing it.

Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 27-01-15, 13:54.

Hi Sue, do you have the 1881 census?

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 1762; Folio: 60; Page: 31; GSU roll: 1341424
    She is calling herself Clara Sophia Theobald (a widow, occupation Annuitant) & 4 children with her. Living at 11 Primrose Terrace, Primrose Hill, Chelmsford.

Don't know if that helps?

Sue
    Sue

Comment

Yes, it does help because I can narrow down the time from her Pittock marriage to her Theobald marriage.
      Thanks very much for that.

Sue

Comment

chelmsford chronicle.JPG this is from the Chelmsford Chronicle 4 Aug 1882 so she was still a Pittock in 1882
        Last edited by Guest; 27-01-15, 14:47.

Comment

Samuel Taylor Pittock is also in the newspapers need your email

Comment

Wow Val..................that is an interesting piece of info.
            E-address on its way

Sue

Comment

emails sent

Comment

wonder about this death
                Samuel Pittock born 1795 died Jun quarter 1884 Cosford Suffolk 4a 333 I know he was a lot older but its not impossible

Comment

looking at the deaths I dont think that newspaper cutting is her on The Isle of Wight

Comment

Have only got as far as the first page - having trouble as they are pdf and I need to save small portion of it for tree - have blocked the bit I want and copy/pasted to E-mail page (nowhere else to put it) but now it is converted to a a webpage which I cannot put on Tree! Husband's assistance has been requested - my technical skills are down to zero.

I will probably type it out and not add the original.

I have not yet read page 3 (only 1 and 2) - the Isle of Wight cutting sounds as though it is going to be interesting. As to Samuel Taylor Pittock's age - I have him as b 1833 Kersey, Suffolk and I know there is a second one (related but in another line of family) who was born in Manningtree, Essex the same year and probably double trouble as he was a twin but it is not him I am researching.

I love these little extra tit-bits for the Tree - makes it so much more interesting.
                    I have not found the death for Clara Sophia Rayner - not surprising if she did NOT marry again BUT I have a wedding cert that said she did .................???

Really appreciate your help. Sue
                    Last edited by Sue1; 27-01-15, 16:03.

Comment

it's looking like she was still a Pittock when she registered Edith Louisa Pittock in 1871

NAME: Edith Louisa Pittock
                      REGISTRATION YEAR: 1871
                      REGISTRATION QUARTER: Jan-Feb-Mar
                      REGISTRATION DISTRICT: Whitchurch
                      INFERRED COUNTY: Shropshire
                      VOLUME: 6a
                      PAGE: 797

to copy a link onto a thread you need to go to the address bar of the information you want to show, [in the case above is the birth ref] right click on address bar and then copy, come back to the thread >>>reply>>>right click on mouse and paste when you save it the link should show up.

I'm really struggling to find them in the 1871 cens, but as she moved about a bit it's rather difficult to pinpoint her!..

she might have used the name Theobald to cover her tracks and 'hide' from someone maybe.
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

This is the link to Sue's other thread which shows what has been found so far.
                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                          http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...ningtree-Essex

This is the link to Sue's other thread which shows what has been found so far.
                          cheers for the heads up Kat, I'm currently serving dinner.. be back in a while. :smilee:
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

The vast majority of the first link which has just come up is wrong ............... it is the wrong Samuel Taylor Pittock - there is one in Manningtree, Essex (not mine but I thought he was!) and one in Kersey, Suffolk (mine). In the White's Directory of 1874 for Kersey, I found Samuel Pittock was the Postmaster.
                            I also have a good bit of naval paperwork for Sam (some for the one in Manningtree) but have found a lot more which relates, it seems to the Samuel in Kersey.
                            There is also a Samuel Taylor Pittock of course who married an Ann Mander in Soho, Westminster in 1850 - she died 5 years later (one child) but not sure whether there is any connection to either of the ones I found although the combination of his names surely cannot be that common. I do know that my Samuel (whoever he is!) married Clara Sophia Rayner in 1855, however ............in Chelmsford. Clara was born in Great Baddow, Essex and her parents continued to live there.

Julie: Thanks for the find of the birth registration of Edith, Clara's last child. I note she is back in Chelmsford on the 1881 census. Wonder what connection to Shropshire they had. There is another odd thing in that one of the other children ADA was born in Bridport, Dorset in 1869 - not sure what the family were doing there but, unfortunately, I do not have any provenance for that and they may have missed the census in 1871 and been back in Cheltenham but the birth was probably registered there (January is quoted so may have been last Quarter of 1870 that she was born).

Thanks again for the help. Sue
                            Last edited by Sue1; 27-01-15, 18:00.

Comment

Have been putting that previous info together, Sue, and come up with this scenario from all the info we gathered plus a bit more on Eliza Mander being his first wife.
                              What do you think?

Samuel Taylor Pittock b Kersey 1825
                              Parents: Samuel Pittock - Builder - and Ann Whymark
                              Baptised: 11th April 1825.
                              Married: Eliza Mander 1st Dec 1850 St Anne Soho, Westminster,
                              His father a Builder and Samuel is a Clerk to a Merchant
                              Death Eliza Pittock - Dec 1857 at Billericay 4a 81 includes Warley
                              Samuel Taylor Pittock marries Clara Sophia Raynor - Jan 1859 Chelmsford Reg Dist.
                              Kate Selina born 1860 - on baptism parents abode is - WARLEY father's occ Builder.
                              I think this is too much of a coincidence to ignore.

These are all the childrens POB's.

What we haven't been able to find are Kate Selina with Parents on the 1861 OR any of these children on the 1871. We Have the 1881 census with Clara as Theobald but haven't found Clara and Samuel together!!!????

Kate Selina b 1860 Chelmsford (Warley)
                              Reuben Charles b 1864 Whitworth Shropshire
                              Clara Maud b 1862 Vauxhall Lambeth
                              Florence Jane b 1865 Colchester
                              Caroline Elizabeth b 1867 Ipswich Suffolk
                              Ada b 1869 Bridport Dorset
                              Edith Louisa b 1871 Shifnal, Shropshire
                              Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
                                The vast majority of the first link which has just come up is wrong ............... it is the wrong Samuel Taylor Pittock - there is one in Manningtree, Essex (not mine but I thought he was!) and one in Kersey, Suffolk (mine). In the White's Directory of 1874 for Kersey, I found Samuel Pittock was the Postmaster.

I do know that my Samuel (whoever he is!) married Clara Sophia Rayner in 1855, however ............in Chelmsford. Clara was born in Great Baddow, Essex and her parents continued to live there.

Sue
                                Sue, on the 1841/51/61 censuses he was a builder . They married in 1859 not 1855
                                Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                  wonder about this death
                                  Samuel Pittock born 1795 died Jun quarter 1884 Cosford Suffolk 4a 333 I know he was a lot older but its not impossible
                                  That was Samuel Taylor P's father - also Samuel.
                                  Kat

Comment

Hi Kat, You are absolutely right they did marry in 1859 not 1855.
                                    I have just done a message to FTF about this (the old and the new Pittock from my previous research) - I have absolutely no idea where what I had typed has gone! so just in case it doesn't appear ...............The Samuel Taylor Pittock occurs x2 - Soho (and no I don't think it is outside the realms of possibility that he married Ann Mander before Clare Sophia Rayner) and in Kersey, Suffolk. The one I mentioned in Manningtree (and I think the grandparents are the same so there is a connection) is NOT Samuel Taylor Pittock - that was my biggest mistake (and I didn't believe it when I was told!) he was actually Samuel PASKELL Pittock.

I have just been called for food ''''''''''''''''will be back later on.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                      Sue, on the 1841/51/61 censuses he was a builder . They married in 1859 not 1855
                                      Sorry meant to say Carpenter/ Builder on 51, Carpenter on 41 and 61
                                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 27-01-15, 18:40.
                                      Kat

Comment

not sure where we are with this but do you have Clara Maud Pittock in 1871 if not she is with her grandparents Henry and Mary Ann Rayner living in Threadneedle Street Chelmsford
                                        RG10 1662 46 4 if you do ignore me

Comment

Working...
                                        X