Lost Laurence daughter between 1890 and 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Laurence daughter between 1890 and 1911

William Joseph Laurence (1862-1903) and Jane Elizabeth (Smith, 1868-1938) living in Hartlepool, Co. Durham, had five children; William Joseph 1887, Albert James 1892, Beatrice Mary 1893 and Jenny 1899 are all documented. Jane's 1911 census return gives five children born living, four still alive. A family member, born long after and now elderly, has a vague memory of a 'Freda' who died as a child, possibly aged around 3. Using Ancestry, Find My Past, Family Search and FreeBMD I can find no likely birth or death record which fits. 'Laurence' is invariably recorded under different spellings so obviously I've asked for variants and 'Freda' may well not have been her actual name so I've tried searching also 'Winifred' and even without a forename but nothing turns up. Any suggestions for making some progress gratefully received!
    Thanks
    Ian
    X IannF his mark

Searching here for children of William and Jane Laurence brings up 2 - Jenny 1899 4 Alma Place and Edith Elizabeth b 1902 1 Brunswick St

Free search of millions of County Durham & Northumberland (England) parish and census records; small fee to view record transcriptions.

There is a birth on BMD which matches Edith Elizabeth but the only matching death I can find is for an Edith May aged 1 Q/E Dec 1903 Hartlepool

However if this is the correct 1901 census, the family are living at 1 Brunswick St so may be worth following up

Jackie

Comment

I've just searched again on that site and there is a cemetery record for Edith Elizabeth Laurence in 1903 abode Brunswick St. I also looked at the image of the death index on FreeBMD and the name is Edith Elizabeth. I've just sent a correction to them
      Jackie

Comment

Jackie, I'm very grateful to you for this. The Jenny Laurence you found was my wife's grandmother and the family did live at 1 Brunswick St., Hartlepool in 1901 so Edith Elizabeth must surely be the missing daughter I'm searching for despite vague family memories of a 'Freda' being mentioned. The one factor I can't currently get to myself is the cemetery record you mention; the Durham site stubbornly gives 'No record' so I must be doing something wrong (not unusual alas). It must have been a hard autumn-winter of 1903 for my wife's great-grandmother losing both husband and infant at the same time...
        Many thanks again
        Ian
        X IannF his mark

Comment

Originally posted by IannF View Post
          Jackie, I'm very grateful to you for this. The Jenny Laurence you found was my wife's grandmother and the family did live at 1 Brunswick St., Hartlepool in 1901 so Edith Elizabeth must surely be the missing daughter I'm searching for despite vague family memories of a 'Freda' being mentioned. The one factor I can't currently get to myself is the cemetery record you mention; the Durham site stubbornly gives 'No record' so I must be doing something wrong (not unusual alas). It must have been a hard autumn-winter of 1903 for my wife's great-grandmother losing both husband and infant at the same time...
          Many thanks again
          Ian
          Ian,
          I searched the durhamrecordsonline website putting in minimal information and using wildcards to cover spelling variations - if you just try surname only La*r*nce and restrict to Hartlepool district you should be able to see all the records mentioned above. William Joseph's 1887 marriage is also there -and the abode given of Scranton is also suggestive of other possible family members with slightly fuller Scranton addresses (although I'd just be guessing here without further info to go on.) I didn't bother restricting by date but you can arrange the records in date order to focus in on relevant time frames.
          Good luck.
          Christine

PS Just speculation - perhaps Edith became Edie, and then misremembered as Freda...
          Last edited by Karamazov; 27-01-15, 17:50.
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

You're welcome Ian.

Its odd that it gives you no record. I've tried again using just the surname La*rence and then selecting cemetery records and 1903 and Edith Elizabeth is definitely there, as is her father. Playing around with it there are other records there as well for the family

I've not got any Durham ancestors so I've not used it before but it looks like a good site
            Jackie

Comment

Thanks again Jackie. Don't know what I was doing wrong first time around but got it now :-)

Ian
              X IannF his mark

Comment

Thanks Christine. Looked at the information using your parameters and found much useful. Your speculation is plausible too ..:-)

Ian
                X IannF his mark

Comment

Working...
                X