Parents clearly not married so what is going on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents clearly not married so what is going on

My great, great grandfather's birth certificate states his father as Ellis Jones a Blacksmith and his mother as Sarah Cooper. He was born in 1845. On the 1951 census he is in the workhouse with his mother and sister and his surname is Cooper. Why are they in the workhouse and what was going on with mum and dad any suggestions?

In the workhouse because they could not financially support themselves is nearly always the answer. (Illness is the other answer).

Ellis Jones may or may not have been the father. Have you found a marriage for him to Sarah Cooper?

OC

Comment

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/records/ Sometimes Workhouse records can turn up the answer or just browse the website for answers, lots of workhouses later became hospitals

Edna

Comment

Can you find father Ellis Jones in the census ? That may give a clue why he is not supporting Sarah and his child. Have you tried to find a baptism record for the child, or a bastardy bond (where parish made him pay for the up keep of his child, especially they were in the workhouse)
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Have you looked for a death for Ellis Jones between 1845 and 1851? If he died Sarah could have been left in dire need and had only the workhouse to turn to.
          It would be interesting to see who the father of his sister was.
          Have you looked for baptismal records?
          Have you searched through the workhouse 1851 census record for Ellis Jones? He would not have been enumerated with Sarah or the children as men were separated from their partners on entering the workhouse. It could be that he is in the workhouse too but has been mis-transcribed.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Do you have any information about where and when Ellis Jones was born?

Comment

I am having problems find Ellis Cooper anywhere. I don't know where he was born or how old he was just that he was named on the birth cert. His sister's birth cert has no name for the father. I didn't find a marriage for them. There aren't any workhouse records for the one they were in, well none I could find and Shropshire parish records aren't on line yet so finding anything on them is proving very difficult. There were in the work house in 1849 when his sister was born and still there at the 1851 census, by 1861 he is on a farm and it states from the workhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by insane40 View Post
                ... and Shropshire parish records aren't on line yet ...
                There are some Shropshire PRs on FindMyPast ...

STG
                Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

It seems straightforward then - they weren't married, she was unable to support herself and the children and they all finished up in the workhouse. A very common story, sadly.

Ellis Jones may have died of course.

OC
                  Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 27-01-15, 21:29.

Comment

The Shropshire parish records on FMP don't cover where they were from but I will be keeping my eye on them hopefully one day they will come on line. Ellis Jones was described as a Blacksmith so would have thought he would have the funds to support them so if he died then that would make sense. Thank for your help

Comment

Tried to delete my post as did not read the OP properly and my reply not helpful but, for some reason, unable to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by modem View Post
                        Tried to delete my post as did not read the OP properly and my reply not helpful but, for some reason, unable to do so.
                        I am afraid that we have had to stop people editing/deleting their own posts as this facility was being abused by some members. I have deleted your post for you.

(You do get ten minutes to proofread/edit your posts.)
                        Caroline
                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Have you heard of this site??

My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks Sylvia have had a look but no Jones under Shropshire but was worth a try

Comment

Working...
                            X