X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing in 1861

Elizabeth Scrivener (married) born Beswick East Yorkshire c1832/3

Husband John home alone in Reighton E Yorks in 1861

(I think there could have been missing children too as John & Elizabeth were recorded as married in the 1851 census returns.)

In 1851 & 1871 John & Eliz were in Reighton, 1881 in Bridlington, 1891 in Grindale and 1901 in Boynton - all these places are in the Bridlington area. They were both deceased by 1911.

I'm anxious to find Elizabeth and any possibilities for children born 1851 to 1861. I have 3 children (Peter, Mary & George) born post 1861.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I've tried various combinations for 1861 and haven't managed to find anything. However have you seen these?

Several children of John and Elizabeth Scrivener, although I don't know whether they are yours. Could be worth following up

Grace 1853
    John 1856
    Jemmison 1858
    William 1862
    Peter 1865
    Mary 1867
    George Pashby 1872
    Jackie

Comment

Ooooooh, thanks Jackie. Never thought to look on Genuki - Reighton bp never used to be on there.

Jameson will be theirs I'm sure, as Jameson was Elizabeth's maiden name, and I know about Peter, Mary & George Pashby (1871 & 1881 census)

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Jameson looks much better than Jemmison

So is the marriage in Q/E March 1851 (John Scrivner)?
        Jackie

Comment

Yes.
          I don't have any certs for this line - as it's a "fun" tree I'm doing for my cousin, who's not well at the moment, I'm not going to buy anything. I'm seeing how far I get using census, and then I'll look for hatches, matches and despatches next time I go to the local record office and take copies of the PR entries.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There are some more Reighton transcriptions here

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS...ex.html#Church Records
            Jackie

Comment

Thanks for that, Jackie.

I have rellies in Reighton and combed the parish records at the record office 25+ years ago. (In those days you got the actual registers themselves, complete with little notes the vicar had popped in for safe keeping, and no white gloves.) It's interesting starting research all over again for someone else and revisiting several parishes. I'm finding many of the neighbours on census returns are old friends to me. My cousin shares his maternal line with me; I'm now working on his paternal line and discovering relatives living in the same villages at the same time as ancestors I know about.

Will have to investigate Genuki for some of the other neighbouring villages to see what else has been added since I last visited, so thanks for that tip.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

So, Grace (1853) John (1856) and Jameson (1858) are also missing, as well as their mother Elizabeth.
                Perhaps they're visiting a relative and have been recorded with the wrong surname???

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Jay

have you been through the 1861 cens for Reighton?
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion, Julie.
                    I've been through the transcription for the whole of Reighton, as well as trying individual forenames, minus a surname.
                    The whole family group is missing - Elizabeth, Grace, John & Jam(i)eson. I've found Elizabeth's mother living in nearby Flamborough in 1861, but none of them were with her:(
                    I suppose now I've managed to find out what children the couple had, it doesn't really matter if I can't find them in 1861.

I spent last night chasing up the children - William (b1862) is lost in 1881;Peter has vanished post his 1887 marriage and George is missing in 1911.
                    Due to the snow, my cousin is no longer visiting tomorrow, so I guess I've now got another week to try and find them!

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

According to trees on Ancestry, Peter married in 1887 and very soon afterwards he & his bride set sail for Australia.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                        According to trees on Ancestry, Peter married in 1887 and very soon afterwards he & his bride set sail for Australia.

Jay
                        ooh so there might be an aussie branch then?
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                        X