Wilsons of N. C. era 1810

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilsons of N. C. era 1810

My Joseph Wilson Sr. died in year 1810 in Morganton, Burke Co., N. C.. He is married to Mary (Unknown) Wilson. They have three known children as follows; son, Joseph L. Wilson b. 1808, d. in Iron Co., Missouri after 1870, girls, Mary J, and Sarah R.. I have no dates nor further info. for the girls. Joseph Sr. had a brother or possible son John Wilson who married Jane McDowell in N. C.. John and Jane also relocated to Missouri about the time that Joseph L. son of Joe Snr. and Mary relocated in 1830s.

Thanks All
    Last edited by Imacuzz1; 16-01-15, 22:52.

I may have found Sarah: the North Carolina, Marriage Index (1741-2004) on Ancestry shows a marriage between Sarah Wilson and Tilmon Blalock in Burke County on 24 December 1828. The source of the information is given as County Court Records at Morganton, NC. Might be worth contacting them to see if they have the original certificate, which would hopefully show her parents' names.

Tilmon (a farmer, born in NC c. 1804), and Sarah (born NC c. 1808) appear on the 1840, 1850 and 1860 censuses in Yancy NC, and in the 1870 census in Grassy Creek, Mitchell County, NC.

Their children are Joseph McD, c 1834, Samuel W, c 1845, Sarah Buenavista c 1848, and David F, c 1851. David's middle name is probably Filmore, because there's a child Filmore aged 19 with Tilmon and Sarah in 1870. The 1841 census only shows the householder's name; Tilmon's household comprises 2 adults: 1 male and 1 female, both aged 30-40, and 2 children: 1 male aged 5-10 and 1 female aged 10-15.

I can't see Tilmon or Sarah after 1870, and NC deaths for that period don't seem to be online.

Comment

There's also a possible marriage for Mary: a Polley Wilson married John Duncan in Burke County on 6 October 1831; source again County Court Records at Morganton, NC. Polly is an old-fashioned nickname for Mary, so it might be the right person. However, a John Duncan (who may or may not be the same person) appears on the 1860 census with a wife Mary aged 48, which makes her a bit too old to be Joseph's child if her age is right.

Comment

That marriage for Sarah may be wrong; according to this site, the Sarah who married Tilmon was Sarah Ainsworth Wilson:

Comment

Hi Mary,
          Thank you for the sources to research. I do appreciate your help.

Bob,Michigan

Comment

I looked at deaths putting Sarah Wilson in and found another marriage to look at I think

North Carolina, Death Certificates, 1909-1975
            Name: Thomas C Cook
            Race: White
            Birth Date: 10 Aug 1854
            Birth Place: Iredell, North Carolina, United States
            Death Date: 7 Nov 1929
            Death Location: Morganton # 2, Burke
            Spouse's Name: Flossie Lyerly
            Father's name: Franklin Cook
            Mother's name: Sarah Wilson
            Last edited by Elaine; 19-01-15, 19:38.
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

This might interest you, Burke County marriages bonds

Bit more on the marriage Mary mentioned

Blalock, Tilmon Wilson, Sarah Dec 24, 1828 John McDowell

Also
              Think you probably have theis ref, but just in case

Duncan, John Wilson, Polley Oct 6, 1831 Aaron Green D. Baker
              Wilson, Joseph Piver, Elizabeth Jul 23, 1827 James Loid .....saw this marriage on a tree

Think you probably have this

Joseph Wilson
              Died suddenly March 1810.

Joseph Wilson husband of Mary ( ? ) Wilson, father of son, Joseph L. Wilson,
              daughter, Sarah R. Wilson , daughter, Mary J. Wilson and unknown children. Brother
              of John Wilson and his wife Jane McDowell. Cause of death unknown. Joseph died in
              Burke Co., Morganton, North Carolina.
              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Working...
              X