Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maiden name of Sarah Portbury mother to Lucy Portbury b.1796 West Teighnmouth,Devon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden name of Sarah Portbury mother to Lucy Portbury b.1796 West Teighnmouth,Devon

I have a record of a Lucy Portbury born at West Teignmouth, Devon in 1796 to a John Portbury and Sarah. There are other baptisms in this village around the same time to a John Portbury and Ann (Vowler). Lucy's baptism entry date is in the midst of these other baptisms so it is unlikely that John married twice and they are half siblings. I am in Australia and have accessed all records available to me online or elsewhere available to me. Lucy married John Badcock at nearby South Molton in 1824 and I have all of her family information from thereon. I would like to find Lucy's mother's surname to enable me to research her maternal ancestors. It is interesting that Lucy Portbury was a witness to the marriage of Ann Portbory and William Truman in 1820 and that her signature is the same as on her own marriage certificate to John Badcock four years later. Another witness on Ann Portbury's wedding entry is a John Portbury who is also a witness on Lucy's marriage entry, and his signature also looks the same for both entries. The only other information I have is that Lucy and John's marriage notice appeared in the newspaper and it described her father John as "Mr Portbury an eminent brazier of Teignmouth". I would therefore presume John Portbury died somewhere between 1795 and 1824. Lucy herself was once described on one of her children's Australian bdm certificates as "Lucretia Duffy Portbury", however I have Lucy's original baptism enry and it only names her as "Lucy". No connection to a Duffy surname has so far been made, and I have not found a Portbury/Duffy marriage. I might mention that the family member who put "Lucretia Duffy Portbury" on the certificate had many names herself and has caused headaches through her own name changes!
    I would be most grateful for any assistance in this matter, as this search for Sarah Portbury's maiden name has been going on for twenty years!
    Regards, Cheryl

Welcome to FTF, Cheryl!
    I wonder if this thread would be better off in the Family History Research section. It is more widely read, and this section is usually used to request retrieval of specific records - e.g., a record from an RO.

An admin can move it for you.

Best wishes,
    Sarah

Comment

Portbury family

Thanks Sarah. I will try and work out how to do this. Regards, Cheryl
      Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
      Welcome to FTF, Cheryl!
      I wonder if this thread would be better off in the Family History Research section. It is more widely read, and this section is usually used to request retrieval of specific records - e.g., a record from an RO.

An admin can move it for you.

Best wishes,
      Sarah

Comment

Moved Welcome to FTF Cheryl.
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 17-01-15, 09:59.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I do wonder whether the mother's name Sarah is correct. Of course Lucy's father could be a different John Portbury from the one who was married to Ann but it could also be that the vicar, when writing up the register made an error and wrote Sarah instead of Ann - not something we will be able to prove though :(
          I'm not sure why you think Lucy's father had died before 1824. "An eminent brazier..." doesn't indicate he was dead but rather that he was a well known/well respected man.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks for reply Judith. I misquoted. It should have read "Mr Portbury, late an eminent brazier". This is what made me think he may have died. Of course this also could mean that he is no longer a brazier and is perhaps retired. I totally agree with what you have said about a mistake being made by the vicar. This only occurred to me last night (for the first time in 30 years!) and now having received your message it makes me wonder if it was a mistake. Sarah and Ann are both very common names. Except for the first name of Lucy's mother on the baptism record, Lucy fits perfectly into the family of John Badcock and Ann Vowler i.e. Lucy was born within the cluster of time that John and Ann's children were born at West Teignmouth, also the John Portbury who married Ann Vowler was a brazier as was Lucy's father, also Lucy was a witness with John Portbury on Ann Portbury's marriage entry, the same John Portbury was a witness on Lucy's marriage certificate. As I said previously, the signatures are the same on both records which indicates they are the same people and are most likely family. If Lucy's father had died prior to her marriage to John Badcock then the John Portbury who was a witness to both marriages is most likely her brother, however, I cannot find a John Portbury (junior) born to John Portbury (senior) and Ann Vowler/Vowles. The other witness on Lucy Portbury's marriage entry is "Mary Widgery". May Ann Portbury married an Elijah Widgery in about 1816. So I am now pretty convinced that, as you have suggested, there is an error on the marriage entry and Lucy is the daughter of John Portbury and Ann Vowler and is a sister to Ann Truman nee Portbury and Mary Ann Widgery nee Portbury. I am not sure whether the John Portbury (junior) is a brother, cousin, or her father. I
            welcome any more comments you can make on this family, as you have made me think "laterally" and look a little deeper than I had previously.

Comment

I have just checked the page of the baptism register for Lucy Portbury's baptism. I could understand if the curate/church warden could have made a mistake by entering Lucy's mother as Sarah instead of Ann, because the baptism entered on the line above Lucy's is for a child baptised to a "Sarah" Papley and the line below Lucy's is for a triple baptism entry for what looks like twins and a sibling (or triplets) to a Richard and "Sarah" Bennett with one of the infants also called "Sarah". We therefore have four "Sarah's" mentioned over three lines. I think he had "Sarah" on the brain and he just wrote the wrong name down. Does anyone out there agree with me…or am I clutching at straws?

Comment

Are you looking at a PR or a BT?

Comment

Also, have you checked FMP in the last year or so? They have added some Devon records in that time frame.

Comment

I guess you mean findmypast. That is actually where I found the actual record pages. Fabulous to find. I only had transcriptions previously, and always wondered whether "Sarah" had been incorrectly transcribed, however, it is Sarah and not Ann that is written down.

Comment

I am looking at reproduction pages (together with the transcriptions) of the parish records on findmypast, so there has been no transcription error. If there was an error then it has been by the curate/vicar who put pen to paper.

Comment

Working...
                      X