Windows 8.1 update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8.1 update

Last night, on completion of my daily computer ramblings I was instructed not to shut down computer as updates were being downloaded. Partly through the 2nd update the screen locked up and after half an hour the situation was still the same. This led me to the last resort, unplugged the machine from the power. On restarting the computer went through it's normal start procedure and everything seems ok.
    Would this action be detrimental or not? seeing there is nothing else that could be done.
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Can't tell you, I just let it get on with it and turn itself off. Mine was doing an update when I shut down earlier but its off now so I presume it completed it but I don't know how long it took.
    Anne

Comment

So do I normally, but the screen stuck at the don't switch off your computer, Update 2 of 8 bit and didn't change for 45 minutes, after which I figured that things were not going normally and pulled the plug as the whole computer was frozen. Didn't seem to do any damage though.

David

Comment

I haven't had this particular problem but if anything goes wrong during update then it should record a 'failed' in the Windows Update history. If that is the case then Windows Update will keep trying. One thing I have found is that Windows Update becomes less stable the more updates it has to do (8 doesn't seem to be a lot) and if you get a repeat of the problem it might be better to temporarily cancel automatic updates and install the failing update individually.

David

Comment

Thank you David, will remember that. Whilst the computer worked ok this morning, I did find that because of the unconventional switch off - power plug pulled out - T-bird was corrupted but this was easily fixed with a new download.

David

Comment

I haven't had the stuck on an update problem with Win8.1 yet but I have had 2 failures right back at the start of using the system - just under 4 weeks ago.
            What I have noticed is that the update process is much slower in general than with the Win7 Home Edition on my previous machine. Also that the progress bar seems to work differently. In previous versions of windows, the bar moved along bit by bit as the percentage of work done increased. In Win8.1 it stays blank and at 0% till almost the last few seconds when it rushes to the finish line. I was uneasy with this at first as I thought it wasn't working properly but now I know it is a tortoise anyway, I just ignore it.
            I don't like this having to wait ages for configuring etc. at shut down and reboot - when I am ready to shut down I want instant results, so I have the updates set to inform me if there are any but not to install. I then do them as it suits me when the machine is on.
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 15-01-15, 09:41.

Comment

If the lockup occured during the download phases then there really should be no problem The issues occurs during the install phases. If an update only partially installs and then there is a failure, then it is possible that the #pc will be left in a corrupt state, being neither in the pres update state or fully updated. Depending on waht the update is, this may have no consequqnces or it may be fatal, leading to a complete rebuild of the device. It does happen but in 20+ years of IT work I have only seen a handful of instances.

If the update was the actuall 8.1 update itself, this is very large and will take a conciderable time to downlaod and install. A task best left to an overnight run.

Comment

No he machine already has W8.1 installed. It happened during the download and the machine is to all intents and purposes working correctly. Thunderbird e-mail was corrupted however

and didn't work next day. Was fixed by downloading T-bird again and all is working correctly. Why the e-mail program was affected is beyond me.

David

Comment

I had 3 updates yesterday afternoon snd all seemed well but after that, using trackpad, my cursor locked up and disappeared from screen completely. I tried a shutdown and reboot using touchscreen which works fine. Cursor with trackpad came back ok for only a few clicks and then same happened. So rebooted again and exactly the same happened. Gave up and plugged in USB mouse which works fine.
                  I can't see anything wrong in the settings so why no cursor when using trackpad but everything ok if using touchscreen or mouse?

Comment

Working...
                  X