Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone explain Registration Place Discrepancies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone explain Registration Place Discrepancies?

A great many of my ancestors and relatives lived in the Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire border area and I am used to the fact that they are many overlaps but one thing puzzles me and that is Registration places.

For example, a wedding takes place in Derbyshire and according to the Derbyshire Registers Index (from FindMyPast) the Register Office is Chesterfield, Derbyshire. However, according to the GRO index, the Register Office is Worksop, Nottinghamshire.

Can anyone explain why?

(Incidentally this is not one isolated incident)

David

Registration districts change over time. If you click on the place name on freebmd it gives you a list of the parishes and when they became part of that district.

For Chesterfield, I can see that part of the parish of Bolsover was taken from Worksop in 1885, and the parishes of Barlborough, Clowne, Elmton and Whitwell were transfer in 1937, so if the marriage you are looking for is in one of these places before these dates the GRO would show Worksop as the Registration District but the records would now be at Chesterfield.

You can view the info for Chesterfield here;
    http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/d...sterfield.html

Tippin
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

... and Worksop here:

Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you both for the information.

So (excuse me for restating this explicitly) the reason is that the local records were transferred after the events, as Registration Districts were changed, and the FMP Registrars Transcriptions refer to the current location and reference number; whereas the GRO Index transcripts are those made at the time.

David

Comment

Working...
        X