Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *yte of Deptford

Happy New Year Everyone.

I am ploughing my way through gravestone transcriptions and I am hoping someone can help me regarding a badly eroded stone.

There are 4 infants dying either being weeks or months old. I can see one is ALFRED and another WALTER the other 2 are unreadable, and difficult to guess at, as are the dates although I can read one is 18 something.

There are 2 saving graces one is the last name on the stone JOHN SHREEVE ? d.18?1 aged 76 (I think) named as the father .... However I think this is the father of the owner of the stone. If I was asked to guess a decade from the shape I think 1841 but could be 1861!

At the top of the stone is written 'FAMILY GRAVE ?YTE Jr BRIDGE HOUSE EVELYN STREET. from the spacing I think the name would be either 4 or 5 characters and the first name would be just an initial

I have found found an Evelyn Street in Deptford which concurs with other address on the graves in this cemetery, but at the moment I cannot find anything on Ancestry at the moment. This may be because I am preoccupied with the name Tyte, as I have transcribed this before in other parts of the cemetery.

Can anyone help me with this one please?

I need to work out how to get the image off a memory stick in order to upload a photo to here, so it would be most helpful if anyone is able to find from the address.

Many thanks
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

I hope this works
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

There is a death of a John Shreeve March 1891, listed twice as 75 and 76, Greenwich 1d 723. Might be worth looking at?
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I have crossed checked births and deaths in Greenwich, but of course the ages aren't given that early (to be his children). There is only one that appear to match up possibly and that's a Charles William who may be about 18 months old. A birth Dec 1846 and a death June 1848. Of course they could have lived elsewhere then though.

No sign of a likely Walter or Alfred. I would have a look on Ancestry census but I discovered this morning that my subscription had finished.

Comment

Ah thanks for trying Chrissie. I have tried Ancestry but have been going around in circles too.

I think it is one of those that's going to have a lot of unknown spaces, but someone may find it and be able to use it. x
          Bubblebelle x

Comment

Thank you Val, I have found Kyte's in Deptford, but I think they will be too late, I am only basing this on the state of the stone, whilst Chrissie's John Shreeve did look interesting.

I think I will have to leave this and carry on with transcribing.

Sometimes I wonder when people get picky about transcription mistakes ever think about just how much we try to come up with the right information in these sort of cases.
            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post

I think I will have to leave this and carry on with transcribing.

Sometimes I wonder when people get picky about transcription mistakes ever think about just how much we try to come up with the right information in these sort of cases.
              I do so agree Bubblebelle. I spent a couple of hours last night trying to de-cypher a particularly difficult page of baptisms, backwards and forwards trying to match up a John and Mary for example with previous surnames just to get a hint - a baptism without a surname is useless to anyone. In transcribing a small town you get to know the families themselves so well. I always think 'what if that was the one I was looking for myself' I would be so pleased that someone had at least made the effort to get it transcribed for me! My husband calls it my 'pay back' time

However I think we all have come across some horrendous mis-transcriptions (on Ancestry for example )- It makes you wonder if the transcriber was actually looking at the same image as you are.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks Kat.
                Yes I call it my genealogy karma too.

I am transcribing photo's I did not take in areas I do not know. Like you I have come to recognise local family names, which helps.

I agree re Ancestry, there are real howlers there, but I wonder if they are using some form of electronic software to transcribe rather than human.
                Bubblebelle x

Comment

I had to laugh this morning. I got an e-mail from Ancestry thanking me for my latest corrections on a census and the link for me to have a look. The trouble is that my subscription finished yesterday, so a sign came up telling me how much it would cost me to look at the corrections :D

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                    I had to laugh this morning. I got an e-mail from Ancestry thanking me for my latest corrections on a census and the link for me to have a look. The trouble is that my subscription finished yesterday, so a sign came up telling me how much it would cost me to look at the corrections :D
                    Oh dear Chrissie, it would be nice if they did a one for one sort of service, ie you transcribe 1 they offer 1 look of your choice or somesuch. Anyway done the chores now a quick Facebook fix then, back to the graveyard.
                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                    X