Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't suppose anyone has any Scotlands People credits they don't need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't suppose anyone has any Scotlands People credits they don't need?

I have been trying to find a marriage for my husband's great grandfather and his second wife for about 10 years. It's part of a larger mystery I posted a lot about in 2006 on genesreunited and may well re-post here if I get a chance this year. My father in law especially wants to know about his family and by looking into it I have just created more questions.

Anyway, I am looking for the marriage between Fred Barber Jepson, born 1861 in Manchester and Katharine Leckie Gordon, b. abt 1864 in Scotland. While searching Scotlands People I saw there is a potential record between 1895-1900, Country:Renfrew, District: Paisley. It is a name 'similar' to Jepson but his surname is often mistranscribed.

Incidentally, I have 15 credits which are inactive. Are these just lost now or is there any way I can reinstate them (without buying more credit?)

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help me.

(And, by the way, there is a tree on ancestry which has an erroneous marriage date Jan 1888, which lists me as the source in case anyone sees that)
    :D Charney Jo

Oh, I see, if I buy more credit my existing credit is renewed. Shame I can't afford it at the moment!

Comment

what surname is it under as I cannot find it

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        what surname is it under as I cannot find it
        I can't find anything anywhere near either names anywhere ... I only had a couple of credits so looked on familysearch as well when they'd gone.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I did not go as far as using my credits as nothing came up when I searched.

Comment

Sorry. I found it last night saved the details but can't find it when I search for it now! I feel awful using all your credits up.

Comment

I know the Jepson had some variant (trying all the different options now) and am sure Gordon was right.

Definitely Paisley... (the family lived in Bonhill, which I think is not too far away, which is why I thought it feasible)

Comment

I just tried under Tepson ? but wasted a credit so you do need to find the name you found it under

Comment

Sorry Val! I am trying to find it but can't tonight :(

Comment

thats okay

Comment

Originally posted by Charney Jo View Post
                      Definitely Paisley... (the family lived in Bonhill, which I think is not too far away, which is why I thought it feasible)
                      About ten miles apart and on opposite sides of the River Clyde with no river crossing. Bonhill is part of Alexandria, between Dumbarton and Loch Lomond. Paisley is south of Renfrew.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I also can't find him in the 1881 census. He would (I guess) be living in the UK then. His first wife, Alice, was living at Longmillgate, Manchester with his parents (Charles and Maria), another son, William, and Fred and Alice's child Charles Harry. Should I start a new thread for that one?

Comment

Thanks Uncle John. So, do you think that a Paisley marriage is unlikely?

I can see a Katharine Leckie Gordon in the Scottish 1881 census born and living in Kelton, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland. And the Valuation Rolls has a Frederick Jepson living at HOUSE NO 174 CALDER STREET GOVAN AND GORBALS GLASGOW BURGH in 1895.

Does that make Paisley more or less likely?

Thanks for your help

Comment

Have you used the "previous searches" button - top middle of the Scotlands People search page to find your search deails?
                            herky
                            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

It's not showing any of the searches since I checked the Valuation Rolls at Christmas, herky :(

Comment

The marriage was in Manchester - i think, not checked yet.
                                I have found the family in the 1911 census in Scotland and then went for a birth of a child - Scottish births give the place of marriage. William Henry Jepson born 1904, Bonhill, parents Fred Barbour Jepson and Catherine Leckie Gordon, MARRIED 1888 MANCHESTER
                                1911 census gives some children born in England, some Scotland
                                herky
                                Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Yes herky. There were numerous children - some born to Alice (his first wife, marriage in Manchester) and some born to Katharine Leckie - but not necessarily in order! It is interesting that Scotland lists mothers too, but it had created a mystery. My father in law remembers Leckie (Scottish) as his grandmother and don't know about Alice (Graves) but I can't find a death for Alice or a marriage for Katharine and Fred!

Comment

Ah, so that is where the person with the family tree got the marriage date. OK. Why can I not find that marriage then? And, Fred born in Bonhill in 1899 has Alice listed as his mother on the certificate...

Comment

No I can't find a marriage either in England
                                      herky

Comment

Herky, I am beginning to suspect they didn't get married then.

Comment

Working...
                                        X