una baverstock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• una baverstock

hi, i am struggling to find the birth details for UNA BAVERSTOCK born 1924 in INDIA(bangalor i think), her father should/maybe JAMES BAVERSTOCK his occupation maybe quartermaster british army india, her mother should be eileen, .. una married george sheppard in devizes,england. anyone help please to confirm these details
    thankyou
    my name is mark and for the last three years i have been doing 4 family tree"s, tree 1 is PAGDEN my mothers line, the pagdens(pagdin) start life in gainsbrough, lincs, tree 2 is SPALDING my fathers line , the spaldings also start life in BURGH LE MARSH, lincs, these two familys , my immediate line i have as you see made into two tree"s for research purposes... tree 3 is my family tree which as normal is PAGDEN(PAGDIN)/SPALDING ,

Her birth is recorded in the GRO Army Birth Indices (1881 to 1965) record collection
    Una BAVERSTOCK
    Birth year 1924
    Place INDIA
    Page 434

- index available on Findmypast (subscription) or Family Relatives (free)

You can order a copy of the birth certificate from the General Register Office - requesting an overseas certificate - cost £9.25
    Elaine

Comment

thankyou i have a copy of birth cert on its way, i was trying to "jump the gun" as there was some confusion on surname spelling, baverstock-bauerstock, but she is definitly born india and the only UNA born plus/minus 1 year of 1924, i now need to track her father to a census
      my name is mark and for the last three years i have been doing 4 family tree"s, tree 1 is PAGDEN my mothers line, the pagdens(pagdin) start life in gainsbrough, lincs, tree 2 is SPALDING my fathers line , the spaldings also start life in BURGH LE MARSH, lincs, these two familys , my immediate line i have as you see made into two tree"s for research purposes... tree 3 is my family tree which as normal is PAGDEN(PAGDIN)/SPALDING ,

Comment

Could this possibly be the marriage of the parents -

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

The same marriage has been transcribed on the British India Office Ecclesiastical Returns - Marriages (Findmypast) as William James Baverstock (father Henry Oram Baverstock)

Do you have a death date for the father - which might help with birth date and subsequently finding him on a census.
        Elaine

Comment

truly gratefull, as yet i have very,very little on this surname. it is my brother in laws mothers side, he has asked that i help him to research his mothers family, after her death in dec he found her birth/marr certs and is trying to trace her family tree. he is scanning the documents and hopefully he will email them today.he had heard a family rumour his mother was born india and this was confirmed on her birth cert that is how i know the parents first names.
          i am a member of FMP but my sub has run out, i will be renewing it this week, which is why i have asked my brother in law to send me all he has asap
          thankyou brilliant

Comment

Let us know how you get on Mark - and if you need some more help once you've got the certificates, then don't hesitate to ask.
            Elaine

Comment

thankyou, i wont hesitate to ask i am well pleased with the responce, like i said to the brother in law its how the surname BAVERSTOCK is/has/will be transcribed or written in the past,

Comment

i have received the certs i was waiting for and as for the marriage elaine found it was spot on UNA"s ,parents are william james and eileen victoria and looking at the birth cert its easy to see that baverstock could be miss-interpreted as bauerstock,...so thankyou elaine, so if i am correct the parents had been in india for a long time as they married in 1922, aged 32 him, 25 her, una birth 1924 and both couples parents present at the marriage,.........does this mean i am going to have trouble tracing the family line of una!!!!!!, because surely there must be a connection to england !!, hope you all understand this !!

Comment

The next step would be to get the marriage certificate of the parents - William James Baverstock and Eileen Victoria Leslie.
                  However, you do have the transcription on the Family Search record and although I would never recommend you rely on a transcription, I will leave the decision of whether to spend £9.25 on purchasing the certificate up to you - or you accept the transcription!

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

William James Baewstock bc1890
                  Eileen Victoria Leslie b c1897
                  Event Date: 15 Feb 1922
                  Event Place: Bangalore, Madras, India
                  Father's Name: Henry Crane Baewstock
                  Spouse's Father's Name: Stuart John Leslie
                  Marital Status of groom: Widowed

For info. - the transcription of this record on Findmypast shows the groom's father as Henry Oram Baverstock.

Now whether the families had been in India for a long time or not, I'm not sure. You mentioned that William was in the Army so maybe he was serving there - possibly Eileen's family were also Army personnel.

Do you have a subscription to www.ancestry.co.uk or Findmypast ??
                  Elaine

Comment

This looks a good possibility for the Baverstock line ...

1891 census - RG12; Piece: 1598; Folio: 105; Page: 15

This shows head of household as Henry Oram Baverstock (aged 41) with wife Rebecca (age 35)
                    Children listed as:
                    Helen Baverstock 8
                    Henry Baverstock 7
                    Edward Baverstock 5
                    William James Baverstock 2 yr 6 months - born Marlborough
                    Frederick Baverstock 8 months

Family are living in Marlborourgh Wiltshire.

Just going back to whether you need the marriage certificate or not, the one important thing it would give you (which is not on the transcription) is the occupation of William's father - he is shown as a carpenter on the 1891 census so if the marriage certiifcate is the same it helps to tie the family together.

There are also a number of trees for Henry Oram Baverstock which have been created on the Ancestry website and it would certainly be worthwhile contacting some of the contributors to see if you could exchange information.
                    Elaine

Comment

You might also find the following page interesting ..
                      England: Parents: Unknown Vivash & Ellen (Eleanor) b ab... Read more on Genealogy.com!

about half way down
                      (1) William James Baverstock b 12 March 1888 Marlborough, Wiltshire-17 June 1953 Wiltshire (Undertaker prior to enlisting in the Army)
                      Married: 1918 Preshute, Marlborough, Wiltshire Margaret Ruth Purdene died: 31 January 1919 Preshute, Marlborough, Wiltshire
                      - which could explain why William James Baverstock was shown as widowed on the marriage entry in 1922.

Genforum, where the message is posted, is no longer active - but if you click on the poster's name you can see her email address - hopefully it's still current.
                      Elaine

Comment

AGAIN THANKYOU ELAINE, yes i am a member of find my past, i need to renew my sub this week as soon as i have time due to work, i think you are onto the correct family living in marlbrough, ..... as the i reckon that UNA"s family would relocate to the family area in england they originate from, and devizes and marlbrough are very close to each other.

Comment

Working...
                        X