London Clandestine Marriage - 1744

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Clandestine Marriage - 1744

I haven't come across these marriages before but today I have - if it is the correct person.
    Sarah Joslyn/Joslin married Richard Eve on 19 December 1744 in this way - I know the Joslyns were all Quakers (at least in this part of the family) but it would appear that Sarah who was born in 1730 went off to London to marry Richard Eve. Richard was born in Knavestock??? (is this Naverstock in Essex) and Sarah listed as coming from Bell (no idea where this is) but she also should be from Stebbing, Felstead, Essex. Having been born in 1730 she is, in 1744, still only 14 but apart from parental consent which may, of course, have been withheld, marriage at that age is not illegal I believe. The record was found on ancestry.co.uk

It is possible that this is not my Sarah but am also intrigued by the person who officiated at this Clandestine marriage - the officiating Minister is said to be "Wyatt" from Wyatt's Register 1744-1746. I wonder if he was anything to do with a John Wyatt - I think he was a Minister who rode around on a horse (vaguely remember learning something at school about him - a non-conformist ............ I think). Probably quite a common name but am curious.

Doesn't seem to be an http:/ number for marriage entry so am unable to put it on unless I can add the whole thing - not sure if this is allowed.

Sue

Here's the link to the image on Ancestry. http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/53...nSearchResults
    Richard Eve was of Knavestock which means he was living there, not necessarily born there.
    I read the last words as "at the Bell" not "of" . Not sure how clandestine marriages worked but could the marriage have taken place in the Bell Inn?
    Last edited by JudithM; 03-01-15, 16:29. Reason: spelling
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

The Eves from that area figure distantly in my tree. Mine are later then that date though there are 3 Richards included .... "My" Eve family came from in and around North Ockenden and Aveley and were farmers - owners I think rather than tenants.

There is a website full of Eves, if I can find the link again, which take them further back than mine.

UPDATE: Found it - http://www.evetree.co.uk/pageuk.html
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Judith, Many thanks for the link AND you are quite right - the bride was residing at the Bell. As for Clandestine Marriages, I suspect if the bride was pregnant that may be the way to go for marriage or if her parents don't want her to marry the groom, that perhaps is also the way to go.

Caroline: Your Eves seem to be even more prolific than my Joslin/Joslyn/Joceylins of Essex.
        The marriage to Richard Eve (and there is no way of telling if he is the correct one) took place in 1744 and the only Richard Eve on the link you sent me appeared in Court in 1745 for stealing a basket of bread ....................he was deported for 7 years. At the time of his marriage he was said to be a Farmer by occupation so that fits.

Thanks to you both for help. Sue

Comment

Just had a better look at the whole thing:

a) Richard Eve married two years before to someone else but he was a bachelor on the 1744 marriage - probably innocent and it was one of the many other Eves ...................I hope!

b) The year following marriage a Richard Eve (again, may not be Sarah's Richard) was arrested outside a pub/bar in London for stealing a basket of bread - he was deported for 7 years having been found guilty!!!!

Clandestine marriages ceased to be legal after 1725/6. They were useful for lower cost of marriage, absence of parental consent and "embarrassing" bridal situations.

Sue
          Last edited by Sue1; 03-01-15, 18:04.

Comment

The Navestock registers are held at the Essex Record Office reference D/P 148/1/3.

17 February 1745
            Baptism
            Elizabeth of Richard and Sarah Eve

24 May 1746
            Baptism
            Hannah of Richard and Sarah Eve

No other entries up to 1751.

Hope this helps.
            Phil
            historyhouse.co.uk
            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thank you very much - it certainly does help.
              I tried to register for the Essex Record Office (SEAX) as a lot of one side of the family are from Essex - I did it all as they said and then they wouldn't let me in. Embarrassingly I have realised now that I was probably supposed to pay!!!

Sue

Comment

I have subscription for two more weeks with SEAX, Sue. Just let me know what you need.

Edit: Freereg are transcribing Essex.
                Last edited by Katarzyna; 05-01-15, 13:34.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

That is very sweet of you. I was actually only going to browse because a lot of one side of the family come from Essex between 1800 and today - it was nothing specific.

Interesting to know Freereg are transcribing Essex - I tend to forget about that site. Maybe time to visit again.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                  X