Clear All

• Help with deciphering witness names please

witness sig.JPG

witness sig 1.JPG

witness sig 2.JPG

Thanks guys
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

They are a bit difficult to decipher, but my best guess is, 1) A. Lampton. 2) J. A. Nuebile (?) 3) I can't make out the first bit, but it seems to end with C Bell.
    Hope this helps
    Ann

Comment

I'm not very good at deciphering handwriting but I was wondering if the last name was Cook and the first one A Premlion.
      Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music.

Comment

Thanks for trying! I really can't make head nor tail of these. Some food for thought tho'.
        Kat

Comment

Hi Kat !! To add to the confusion....

The first one looks like A Frempton to me.
          Not sure if the character half below the line in the second is an initial, but after that I can see Annelise.
          And the third looks like Thos C Bell.

Is there a timeframe and location to help with surname searches ?
          Rick

Comment

Hi Rick - Happy New Year to Jan and yourself!

These are witnesses for 1780 marriages from Tollesbury Essex. Cannot therefore easily check with censuses etc and they are not obvious relations. :( I think they are practicing their newly acquired writing skills!
            Kat

Comment

The only thing I can do is hope these are young singles and they will be marrying in the near future so will keep an eye out for them. Thanks for your suggestions - will have a look again with your eyes!
              Kat

Comment

I go to Tollesbury quite often, it's a lovely place.
                Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music.

Comment

Happy New Year from both of us too Kat. I wonder if that "Fr" could be a badly formed "K" ? There's a will of Abraham Kempton of Tollesbury in 1812 which mentions a brother-in-law John Lewis and a son-in-law John Smith.
                  Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                    Happy New Year from both of us too Kat. I wonder if that "Fr" could be a badly formed "K" ? There's a will of Abraham Kempton of Tollesbury in 1812 which mentions a brother-in-law John Lewis and a son-in-law John Smith.
                    Thanks so much Rick!!
                    The marriage was for a John Lews which became Lewis in 1800's. Kempton - I can see that now.
                    Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Stacky View Post
                      I go to Tollesbury quite often, it's a lovely place.
                      We are hoping to go there this year - All my Wilkinsons, Bowles and Barnards are from there and round abouts - all oyster dredgers or mariners of course.

Thanks for all the lovely Church photos from that area too
                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 02-01-15, 14:36.
                      Kat

Comment

Working...
                      X