Searching for a Soldier who may have been cashiered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for a Soldier who may have been cashiered

I wondered if anyone knew what happens to the records of a soldier who has been cashiered?
    I presume it means they "got the sack"? The chap I found also went to Prison for 2 years with HL (probably hard labour) - sentenced to this at the same time he was cashiered. He was tried by GCM.

Would all trace of his records be removed or are they stored separately somewhere.

Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 30-12-14, 11:49.

Hi Sue

Are we talking WWI?

I can't think they'd be stored separately. I've seen records on Ancestry for men discharged on health grounds after only a few weeks service. Do you have his medal card - or did they take any medals away when he was discharged?

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Cashiered means he was dismissed with disgrace, so not sure what happens about medals. His records wouldn't have been destroyed though, as they would want a record of him so they didn't take him on again.

I have a vague idea that the Gazette reported dismissals but I could be wrong.

OC

Comment

http://www.1914-1918.net/crime.htm this looks interesting

Edna

Comment

I have his medal card but won't put him on by name at the moment as I don't want to destroy his name if this is nothing to do with him and I hope it doesn't. It really doesn't "sound" like him at all but ..........?
          Yes his medals were forfitted. The MIC says he transferred from the 3rd London Regiment where he was Sgt QMS to the ASC where he became a Temp/Lt.
          That part of the MIC which is readable (bottom half) says:
          "O I/c London Infantry Recs finds nom roll of Rank and File ???for the award of the 1914-15 Star 4.11.19"
          The last bit written in red. Then below:
          Tried by GCM 15 23 3/21 Sentenced to be ? and 2 years imprisonment HL (6 months remit).

I find it hard to believe it is the chap I suspect it is as his medal ribbons were found a couple of years ago.
          If it is my chap, I would be intrigued to know what he did - I am pretty sure it is not him but he has been unfindable for years by better people than me.

The above events don't seem to be dated but I can see in small writing that he was commissioned in the A.S.C. on 30.9.1917.

The thing that makes me think it probably/possibly is not him is that I have a picture of him in France, in uniform and written by hand on it is "France 1918" - the other half of me thinks you can write anything on a picture. The medal ribbons that have been found (less than 2 years ago) make the above less likely - possibly. His wife threw his medals away, it is said, when he died - no one alive has ever seen them.

Perhaps I should leave well alone but ..............I am nosey.

Sue
          Last edited by Sue1; 30-12-14, 13:29.

Comment

Might there have been anything about whatever the incident was that provoked the GCMin the local newspaper?

(also nosey)
            STG
            Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 30-12-14, 13:47.
            Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Sue

Can you pm me his name, please?
              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Will do. Sue

Comment

be interested to know the outcome not that I'm nosey though just curious

Comment

It would be interesting to hear what ann finds out if it does not require naming and shaming if it is the same person, lots of people did things early in their career that they later regretted, one lady I helped recently said it couldn't possibly be her father as he was a quiet gentle man and not at all like the paperwork describes him including other estranged families, I did not do any further looking for her, some people can not face the skeletons that are revealed in this hobby.

Edna

Comment

Interesting that Edna ................ my husband has just said to me "why don't you stop looking for what he may or may not have done wrong and give him credit for the medals he got and the good he did do" - I may be abnormal but I would like to know for sure - if he was bad then he was bad but most people are more good than bad!!

Sue

Comment

I found that too ? dont understand it as its not our fault if they did something bad. and it does add colour to the family tree.

Comment

Sue,
                          firstly one has to remember that sentences for crimes/misdemeaners were somewhat harsher in those days than now. Two years with HL could have meant that he had fiddled the
                          books a bit or misappropriated something, quite likely as he was in the ASC (supply branch). As for forfeiture of medals as far as I know there was no obligation to give them back -
                          easy to say than I have chucked them out and keeping them. his applies to the ribbons as well. As far as I am aware forfeiture of medals means that you are not officially recognised
                          as ever been awarded these.
                          Somewhere there will be a record of a GCM which will give the details of the charges of this man. There may be someone on the forum that can help you with this question, but first I
                          would do a search of the national archives in UK to see what may turn up. If you have a look at the link it will give you further info on courts martials.

Last edited by grumpy; 30-12-14, 22:29.
                          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Many thanks for that David - website looks good so hopefully may find something.
                            Very difficult to be sure it is the correct person though - I don't even know for sure that the chap who "done wrong" is actually mine but am suspicious that it may be.

The medals plus x2 mids must be gazetted somewhere in London Gazette as I understand they always were.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                            X