Lives of WW1 website ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lives of WW1 website ..

Just wondering if anyone has set up a community on the IWM website.
    I've started collecting some information relating to a particular surname. Am not sure whether to create the community adding the blank profiles, and then add the information to each person as I find it - or whether to add the information to the profiles and create the community once I've done them all.
    Does it make any difference which way round I do it?
    Elaine

I'm a bit confused about the IWM site. In the beginning they were requesting peeps to add info and I added some minimal stuff about two g.uncles, but didn't go further because they wouldn't accept links to Ancestry only FMP, which I didn't have a sub to at that time. Now they seem to want to charge me to see it/add to it.

Or have I got it wrong?

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Not sure about your query STG. I have a free annual subscription to it - via my FMP normal subscription.
      I know there were a lot of comments at the beginning that it appeared you had to subscribe before adding information, but I think that only applied if you wanted to upload images/documents. I was under the impression that you can still add basic info without subscribing - but hopefully someone else might be able to clarify it for you.
      Elaine

Comment

From their website .. https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/getting-started

The features you can access
        You can use Lives of the First World War as a Visitor, a Member, or a Friend.
        • As a Visitor you can search for Life Stories, view all the facts people have added to Life Stories, and explore the History section.
        • As a Member you can add to a Life Story and Remember an individual. To do this, you need to create an account and log in so we can show who has added each piece of information. Becoming a member is free.
        • As a Friend of Lives of the First World War you can view premium content and access special features by paying a subscription.
        So it seems that you can register as a member (free) and add information.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine.

STG
          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

You can add them to a community with nothing added. I decided to trawl for the surname(s) I wanted and then to add the details later.

You can add links from anywhere - it is linked to FMP for the records they hold, but you can add other things from e.g. Ancestry as external links.

I was going to show you the FB group, but I see you found it - or you were found!!
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

One thing I was worried about was adding them to more than one especially if someone else has already added them to a community, but you can and it won't prevent anyone else from doing so too.

Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks for that Caroline. You've put a lot of work into those .. well done!
                There are only 18 entries for the surname I am looking at but it should keep me busy for a while!
                I was concerned about adding profiles to my community and whether or not it would prevent others from contributing ... but you've answered that as well!

.. and yes, have just found the FB group and been accepted so will read through that as well.
                Elaine

Comment

I have created 4 communities for mine and nobody else has added as yet and I am hoping to be able to add information as I go along.

What has made me wonder is what would happen to my communities if FMP no longer include IWM in their sub, and I decide I do not want to continue with it on yet another sub?

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                    What has made me wonder is what would happen to my communities if FMP no longer include IWM in their sub, and I decide I do not want to continue with it on yet another sub?
                    I would presume they would just remain as you left them.
                    As Caroline has said above, even though you may have added a profile to your community, it doesn't prevent anyone else from adding detail or adding that person to their own community.

... but that's just a guess - can't see anything on their website about it!
                    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. Yes I had thought that might be the case but reckon we will have to wait and see!!

Janet

Comment

Working...
                      X