Success in 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success in 2014

Just wanted to let you all know about 2 wonderful things that happened in 2014 so don`t give up when you hit a wall !
    Firstly, I had a request to see my husband`s family on Ancestry, the lady then shared a lot of info with me about her great uncle who turned out to be a relative by marriage of my husbands aunt. I had been trying to find out about her for a long time and knew it was possible that she had a daughter called Mary Brown, yes, not easy to find. Consequently the lady gave me her address, she is now in her 80`s but is an absolute mine of information about all the family and my husband`s father ( her uncle ) and we have been writing to each other now for a couple of months and she has sent me loads of photos. Unfortunately because we live in Spain we can`t meet up at the moment but it is every genealogists dream to find her. Incidentally her mother`s name was mistranscribed.

The other thing was another request on Ancestry for info about my husband`s cousin who is in his 80`s. This person claimed that the cousin`s father was married before and had left a child in care abroad when he returned to the UK after his wife died. The remaining family are grandson and great grandson. The family were desperate to fnd out more and I knew I would have to tread very carefully, after all, you can`t just come out with `Do you know you have another family and a lot of them also have the same name as you` !! My husband advised me to leave well alone but I am afraid I couldn`t and gingerly phoned the cousin. it turned out he knew his father was married before but didn`t know he had a step brother, but said he would speak to them if his brother was also in agreement which he was. I then asked for a lot of proof and they sent me photos and a marriage certificate which all tied up. The upshot is they are all in touch now and plan to meet up in the Spring.....result !

Wow that's a wonderful outcome. I am so pleased for you.:o
    2014 proved to be a breakthrough point for my family research also. And, I have got my brother and sisters all interested, so between us siblings we managed to piece together facets of things said to each of us until we found things we could prove.
    Also of course, with valuable help from peeps here at times. It's a brilliant forum and I am so glad to be part of it.;)

Twiglet
    Twiglet

Comment

Thats wonderful Lyn its lovely when it all comes together, and Twiglet you are lucky having family interested in the family tree, I find myself talking to myself.:(

Comment

They don't have a choice Val, I prattle on and on about my family search finds so much. I am now known as Miss Marple! :o
        Twiglet

Comment

one day they will be grateful

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            one day they will be grateful

Thanks Twiglet and Val. It is just so nice to have a successful outcome occasionally and of course, everyone on here is so helpful and knowledgeable ! Twiglet, do you worry sometimes that nobody will be interested when you are gone ? I do.

Comment

My daughter, who is the kindest person on earth and would politely listen to someone reading out the telephone directory and look interested, said to me one day when I was prattling about FH

"Mum, I'm sure one day when I'm older I will be interested in all this...but not just now, ok?"

OC

Comment

Yes I worry that my searches will be ignored by my own family after I am gone? I feel it's something we grow into and at the moment they are not old enough to appreciate the past and all that leads back to them? It was only in 2012 when i turned 60 that I first started to think about who everyone was and where did they come from in my own family tree?
                When Granny's little snippet's of conversation started to come back to me and i wanted to know more than i did. As she died in 1965, I am thankful i have a good memory of the times she looked after me and my siblings and when her interesting conversation flowed.
                Thank goodness a couple of my siblings now feel the same way as i do about our past.
                AND i have a new little Twiglet to add, as of this morning. (I am so chuffed). On the very last day of 2014, i have just seen her, she is gorgeous.

Twiglet.
                Last edited by TwigletNumber5; 31-12-14, 14:35.
                Twiglet

Comment

Congratulations on your New Twiglet to add to the tree Twiglet, lots of baby cuddles soon then for you.

Edna

Comment

Cingratulations Twiglet, how wonderful. Let`s hope she is interested in family History one day !

Comment

what fabby news!

congratulations Lyn and also Twiglet

2015 is going to be a good year
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks, I hope I can be just as great a Granny as mine was to me. ;)
                        Twiglet

Comment

I suspect young folk's disinterest in family history is largely due to the fact that they are grasping life with both hands at the beginning of life's journey ...................however, when they retire they will almost certainly be interested - nothing like age to concentrate the mind. When you work and have a family to look after you just do not have time for all the research that has to be done.

My 10 year old granddaughter asked me to print out the maternal and paternal main lines down to her, last year - the school was teaching them about genealogy!

Sue

Comment

Working...
                          X