What is involved in updating Vista to Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is involved in updating Vista to Windows

I am completely in the dark of whats involved ,like how much ,where do I get the upgrade, is it safe to install it over Vista or do I have to remove Vista, does it keep my files and photos etc or do they get deleted
    Any advice welcome thanks

This should help Val.
    Learn how to upgrade your existing device to Windows 10 or buy a new PC. Get answers to common questions about upgrading to Windows 10.

By the looks of that upgrading from Vista to W8 would be a clean installation, so any data files currently on your computer would need to be saved and reinstalled again after the upgrade. All programs would need to be reinstalled as well. :(
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine I got bogged down with all the stuff out there,thought I could just install it over Vista and thats that ? would have been good.
      Shall have a read.

Comment

We've recently upgraded two computers to Windows 8. Mine was originally Windows 7 and OH's was XP.
        The XP machine was a clean installation - so we had to reinstall all the programs and upload the data files again.
        Upgrading from Windows 7 was easier - the data files remained but had to reinstall the programs.
        Fortunately my son was here at the time so I left it in his capable hands! Not sure I would have been happy doing it myself!
        Elaine

Comment

Just looking at prices might even buy a new pc instead, and use the laptops for other stuff.
          Handy having a son around they know so much these days as they have grown up with all this stuff.

Comment

Look on it as a chance to get rid of all the stuff you don't really need any more but never got round to uninstalling.
            Anne

Comment

I'm worried I'll mess it up Anne and not save stuff I need to

Comment

Have you got a good (recommended) small business computer shop nearby? We have a great one on an industrial site and for £35 they cleared out my windows 8 (that I hated) which came with a new computer and installed windows 7, without losing any of my work or photos etc. The only thing I lost was my e-mail contacts. It was worth every penny.
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Now thats worrying whats windows 7 got that 8 aint

Comment

Nothing Val and some people love it. I hated it though. 7 is a bit more like the old XP - 8 is very different.
                    I wasn't suggesting that you wouldn't like 8. Just that a good computer place will change your computer for you for a reasonable amount.

Comment

Thing is finding one thats good, there are so many set themselves up as experts but they aren't, anyway Tom has hinted maybe he should buy me a new PC ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        ... anyway Tom has hinted maybe he should buy me a new PC ;)
                        Problem solved!
                        Elaine

Comment

Only cos he got impatient waiting for me to look something up and it took ages, told him its because its Vista

Comment

The other issue to consider is the compatibility of your computer with Windows 8. Not all older device would be suitable to upgrade to Windows 8. Win 8 requires more processing power, more RAM (memory) and there could be issues with drivers.

For those of you with Win 8 or 8.1 and would prefer something that looks and behaves more like Win 7, have a look at Start8 from Stardock (http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/). The best $4.99 I've invested in. (And I see that the current price is actually $3.99
                            Last edited by dermotdjt; 31-12-14, 14:11.

Comment

Thanks Dermot will take a look

Comment

Got the best of both worlds. Win 8 (actually 8.1) but as can be done with that system it is set up to work like win 7. Everything is much, much faster and all the favorite icons are displayed on the screen. Can revert to W8 (I don't) instantly if required.
                                Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

If you can hang on it might be worth waiting for Windows 10 which is due for release mid-2015. Vista is still fully supported by MS with regular updates and almost all current programs are compatible (unlike XP which works entirely differently to later versions).

The next version of Windows is supposed to be more like 7 in use, but as far as I can see from the demo screenshots still uses some of the annoying different sized 'blocks' for applications (like the Windows mobile and XBox systems) instead of 'list' menus or regular icons. However considering the huge dislike of Windows 8 and the poor uptake (even worse than Vista) they are unlikely to go too radical with this next version; they need people to upgrade and they won't do if it is too much of a leap from the familiar.

PS: Don't ask why they skipped Windows 9; I have no idea, nor it seems do any of the IT pundits! As far as anyone knows Windows 10 is the same system that would have been Windows 9; they just skipped a number. There wouldn't have been enough time to abandon 9 and bring the development of 10 forward.
                                  Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                                  Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                                  Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                                  Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                                  Devine in Ireland

Comment

thanks everyone, and Chrissie I went into a local shop and asked how much to put windows onto mine he said £90 as thats what the programme costs ?? am sure they use the same one for everybody ,and another £68 to put my stuff back.

Comment

Sounds like we got a bargain then Val
                                      OOPS - sorry update - just spoke to hubby and he tells me that he already had a Windows 7 disc which they used to load it with. It did include transferring everything over though.
                                      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 13-01-15, 11:14.

Comment

aha

Comment

Working...
                                        X