Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help me find the child that died?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help me find the child that died?

Hi

My father in law asked if I could find out about his mothers side. His grandfather - William Walter Arthur Amber - was born in Hendon in 1890. He married Elizabeth Sarah Brookes in 1900 and my father in law's mother, Marjorie, was born in 1903. She was followed by a sister Nancy in 1910 and a brother in 1914.

My father in law said that a long time ago his aunt gave him a box of family photos and it included one of a little girl (he thinks aged about 2 or 3) and Nancy had said that was their sister who had died as a child.

Now the 1911 census says that they had 3 children born alive and that they had 1 child that had died so this matches. I have searched freebmd for Ambler births and deaths but cannot find any that would match.

Does anyone fancy having a look for me? I would love to be able to tell him more about this girl.

Thanks in advance.
    :D Charney Jo

Born in 1890 and married in 1900? Is his name Ambler or Amber, please.

OC

Comment

Sorry OC. Ambler.

Comment

Oh, and born in 1880! His wife was 6 years older I think.

Sorry, I am full of cold at the moment.

Comment

Have you discounted Marjorie, born in 1900? The Marjorie born in 1903 was Marjorie Elizabeth J.

There appears to be another child, Percival Walter R, born 1907, but maybe of a different Ambler marriage.

OC

Comment

Yes, I did see that but was rather hoping that there would be some concrete (without needing to get the birth certificate!) evidence from another source (Marjorie Elizabeth J's birth shows on ancestry on the LMA records).

I also can't see a death for Marjorie born in 1900. Not before the 1911 census at least.

Comment

Ah, yes. The Marjorie born in 1900 is listed in the 1901 census with her parents Henry and Catherine. So that's not her.

Comment

Percival Walter died age 1, so not him either.

I can't see any other births in area, sorry.

OC

Comment

Hm, it's a mystery. They were both local to the area so no particular reason I know of why the daughter would have been sent away.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

I'm assuming you've found them in 1901 with no children? They'd been married four years when Marjorie Elizabeth arrived.

OC

Comment

Yes, in 1901 it is just those 2.

Comment

I wonder if the photo was of Marjorie born 1903? My late father gave me a load of family photos and he identified most of them wrongly!

There may have been a daughter who died, but if she was stillborn there will be no record of course.

OC

Comment

I did think that but the 1911 census states they had 3 children born living and by 1911 only 2 were alive and 1 had died.

I think I need to check out the boys in case you are right about mis-identification!

Comment

This is the burial record for Percival Walter Reuben who was buried 18th September 1908 aged 16 months in Harrow Weald, abode Wealdstone. Unfortunately no parents recorded.

Vera

Comment

Thanks Vera. Well, one of William's middle names was Walter and his father was called Reuben. I guess this makes it worth a punt for the birth or death certificate. I am thinking that the death certificate would be the better one to get...?

Comment

Would a boy aged 16 months in 1908 have been dressed in clothes that we might think are girlish?
                                Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                                  Would a boy aged 16 months in 1908 have been dressed in clothes that we might think are girlish?
                                  Definitely. Boys wore dresses up to the age of about five.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Is there anywhere else I can check (for free) who the parents of Percival was? I have just registered with ancestry and FMP (£1 FMP sub) and would rather find it there than get the cert. Typical it's not on the LMA archives on ancestry as they finish in 1906.

Comment

Originally posted by Charney Jo View Post
                                      Thanks Vera. Well, one of William's middle names was Walter and his father was called Reuben. I guess this makes it worth a punt for the birth or death certificate. I am thinking that the death certificate would be the better one to get...?
                                      Not sure about that - perhaps bc to confirm parents???

Vera

Comment

Vera, I assumed that one of the parents would most likely have registered the death?

Comment

Working...
                                        X