Could you resist this offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could you resist this offer

Had an email today in response to one I sent to somebody on Ancestry in 2012, to say he had been busy but now he is redundant he is going to go back to research to make some money and if I contact him he will tell me his fees.
    Its not as if I asked him for any record all I asked was did he think this couple never married.

Yes, I could resist it to the point of not even acknowledging his message - just like he did to yours two years ago!

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Isn't that touting for business? Which I think sent as a Pm isn't allowed on any forum that I know of?
      Twiglet

Comment

I dont know but thing is I have found the info since I asked him anyway, maybe I can charge him?

Comment

I was going to say the same as STG, until I saw that you had since found the info. So I would reply with - Thank you for the kind offer but I have since found all the information I needed, by doing careful and thorough research of my own.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

thanks for the replies I wouldn't have had the cheek, in fact wish he wasn't a rellie:(

Comment

I have peeps I wish weren't my rellies either! Hope they don't think the same about me though

STG
              Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

I'm sure they are thrilled to have me

Comment

I'd reply telling him I had since found the information myself and if he wants to know, I'll tell him my fees! (And wish him lotsaluck trying to get people to pay for what is very often free!)

OC

Comment

good one OC but I'm afraid I wont say just that but be rude.

Comment

I have just looked at the person in his tree and he has the wrong year of death for her Father and no info on her other than a census record , I have all the records including newspaper records of the bigamist she married but I wont be telling him. ;)
                      To cap it all he has her Father dying in 1845 but he also has census records for 1861 and 1891 attached to him? dont think he will make much money researching for people.
                      Last edited by Guest; 27-12-14, 14:15.

Comment

Mmmmm shame he had to give up his day job. Don't think he will earn a crust at genealogy.
                        Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music.

Comment

I could offer him my services I suppose Stacky ;)

Comment

After having read your post #11 I would feel inclined to tell him that you have since found lots of interesting information and that he has several mistakes and If he ever needs help your fees are very reasonable compared to most.
                            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 27-12-14, 15:41.

Comment

Chrissie :D

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                After having read your post #11 I would feel inclined to tell him that you have since found lots of interesting information and that he has several mistakes and If he ever needs help your fees are very reasonable compared to most.
                                But please don't invite him here (or to a similar site with a maroon theme).
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Kind for kind. Reply in two years time.
                                  Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Too true Uncle John, Grumpy he may have another job by then,as he wont go far researching

Comment

I would reply thanking him for his email and wishing him well in his "new venture".
                                      I would write I had managed to resolve my original question a give the date of the marriage or state there was no proof of any marriage for the couple.
                                      Why be churlish?

If Christmas means anything surely it is a time for all to turn the other cheek and help our fellow man!

Cheers
                                      Guy

PS. If you are in the position to assist his financial situation why don't you ask him to do some simple research for you.
                                      That way you could help him without giving him charity.
                                      Last edited by Guy; 28-12-14, 08:14. Reason: added a PS
                                      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Guy puts us all to shame as usual You have to admit though Guy that people can be frustrating to say the least.

Comment

Working...
                                        X