Guests on Ancestry Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guests on Ancestry Trees

If I make someone (say, a cousin in Canada who has no kind of membership with Ancestry) a Guest on my Tree, will she be able to view, for example, the actual page of a census or just the transcription, please?

Thanks
    STG
    Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 27-12-14, 11:11.
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

should be able to access anything in your tree, but dont make the mistake of making them an editor as then they can edit stuff .

Comment

No, I wouldn't do that, but she seems to be saying that she can only see transcriptions, rather than the original images. I've tried looking it up on Ancestry, but it's less than helpful ...

STG

Comment

I have given people access and they can copy certs and census records as far as I know as they always thank me

Comment

STG - I think it might depend on whether you have provided a link to a document, e.g. linked to a census ... or whether you have downloaded the census to your computer and then uploaded an image of it and attached it to your tree.
          If you have just provided a link, then I would think it would be unlikely that a non member could view the original document.
          If you have attached a previously saved image to your tree, then a non member should be able to view that OK.
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            STG - I think it might depend on whether you have provided a link to a document, e.g. linked to a census ... or whether you have downloaded the census to your computer and then uploaded an image of it and attached it to your tree.
            If you have just provided a link, then I would think it would be unlikely that a non member could view the original document.
            If you have attached a previously saved image to your tree, then a non member should be able to view that OK.
            Oh rats!

I think I'd assumed that she could just go to one of the profile pages, click on the link (bottom right) for, say, the 1861 census, see the summary and then click on View to see the actual image.

May have to have a major re-think

STG

Comment

ah you might be right Elaine I add the image to my tree on there

Comment

I didn't know that. I have added Scottish census images from SP but assumed for a guest they only had to click to go eventually onto the image. So it looks as though I have to load the images on separately. That will take me ages.

Vera
                Last edited by vera2013; 27-12-14, 12:37.

Comment

I'm most of the way through checking that Tree - it's taken me weeks and weeks and was largely quite dull and tedious. There's no way I can face going back over it again to add all the images.

unhappy bunny

STG

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                    I didn't know that. I have added Scottish census images from SP but assumed for a guest they only had to click to go eventually onto the image. So it looks as though I have to load the images on separately. That will take me ages.

Vera
                    Vera, I would have thought you are OK. If the images are from Scotlands People then I presume you have downloaded them to your computer, and then uploaded them and attached them to your Ancestry tree - in which case they should be viewable by an invited guest.
                    Elaine

Comment

My post was a bit garbled Elaine. I was trying to say that I had downloaded and uploaded the SP ones (which, as you say should be viewable) and that I assumed the images of those documents from an Ancestry search, to my Tree, would be able to be viewed by a guest.

I will e mail them and see what they say

Vera
                      Last edited by vera2013; 27-12-14, 18:44.

Comment

This is what they said

If you are invited to view a tree as a guest, you should be able to view the images on the tree. If the images connected to a living person, however, and you haven't been given permission to see living people then you won't see their images.

Vera

Comment

Thanks vera.

I think my problem is that I haven't attached the images to the tree, I've just linked to them.

Oh well, too late to change things now.

I've scanned a couple of the images (so far) and put them into a folder on Dropbox, and "shared" that folder with my Canadian cousin. Am waiting to hear from her that it works and then will scan the rest.

STG

Comment

STG

I'm not sure what the difference is between attached and linked on Ancestry. I got the impression from what Ancestry said that if the census is on the Tree, a guest should be able to see the image.

Such a pain to have to do all that scanning but then the nice part of the tree is to see the original documents especially ones where you have the ancestors signature or even some remark in the last column as I did with my m/grandfather. That revealed a lot about how
                            my paternal grandmother was a bit snooty about my maternal side.

Vera

Comment

I mean that I haven't uploaded the image (as if it's, say, a .pdf/.jpg file).

STG

Comment

Now know what you mean. Its a long time since I worked on my tree but do remember the jpg documents loading so I must have attached as opposed to linked. Well that doesn't help you STG but your alternative sounds good.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                X