FindMyPast search help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FindMyPast search help

I have found a reference to a relatives past 'crime' at http://www.foxearth.org.uk/1844BuryNorwichPost.html

" October 15th 1844 Thomas Sutton having furiously driven a cart between Alpheton and Melford so as to endanger the lives of passengers. 6 weeks."

What I am trying to do is find the page on Findmypast.
    I have filtered the search down to correct newspaper and the closest dates and used various words from the result of the above link, all with no success.
    Any suggestions as to how I can find the page from The Bury and Norwich post for the issue on 15th Oct 1844 or thereabouts
    DGJay

I managed to find it first on British Newspaper Archives, then tried what I had on FMP - You need to set the date for 16 October, 1844, paper to Bury and Norwich then just search for Sutton. For me it was the second entry on the list.
    Last edited by ozgirl; 26-12-14, 13:27.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Many thanks Linda
      On Findmypast the date settings are from 1800 - 1849, which unfortunately gives over 2000 results.
      But having seen that it is there from British Newspaper Archives, started going through them all and soon found the one I was looking for...
      DGJay

Comment

Dg,
        On FMP there is an option for applying filters to narrow down a date search further: first by decade, then individual year, then month, then week, then specific day.

Similarly, you can filter by newspaper title.

So, if you have precise details of an article, you can use the filters to narrow down the search parameters and find the exact article.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Janet
          I had found the Newspaper Title and Date descending/ascending filters, but where do I find the 'filter to narrow down a date search further: first by decade, then individual year, then month, then week, then specific day'.
          That is just what I had hoped there would be, but cannot find it
          DGJay

Comment

Choose the first selectoin of 'narrowing' eg 1800 to 1849. This will then open a new, narrower selection of years. And so on until you can choose an actual month of a year as the selection diminishes. All found at the left hand side, you might need to scroll down to see them.
            Anne

Comment

Well I never !
              Anne that is brilliant.
              The ony expression I can think of is
              Findmypast = Clear as mud - in their searching methods
              unless of course DGJay = Two planks
              DGJay

Comment

IMHO the new FMP is very powerful but not user friendly. As you get more used to it and discover the options you will come to appreciate it more. My advice is to play around with it and don't always use the same search approach.
                People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Working...
                X