X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone read these?

isnt it General Labourer

Comment

Yeah sorry, I should of been more specific....the bit under Private on the 1918 one, i'm not sure if its 5th, or 51st or 51 Battalion, anyone?

There seems to be two full stops...would this always mean letters?

Comment

I'd opt for 5th.

STG
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

I think i've sussed it, must be because i've put them side by side like that....i think its, 5 I. B. , fifth Irish Battalion

Comment

have you got his army records ?

Comment

No, I cant find them anywhere.....I hope he wasn't fibbing on these certificates. None of the family knows anything about this..

His name was Dennis Thomas Callaghan, but he used only Thomas on his marriage certificate in 1909, aged 22 years (I have certificate, wife Mary Larvin)

Born : between 1884 and 1887...but might even be sooner 1882

Died : 1941 aged 57 ( I have certificate)

Think born Gateshead, Married in Gateshead, lived in Newcastle from at least 1914 until his death in 41.

Comment

The regiment was originally the Fifth Regiment of Foot, often known as the Fighting Fifth, which it remained until 1881 when it became The Northumberland Fusiliers.
                Over three months at the end of 1914 and beginning of 1915, four new battalions were formed which were the 24th - 27th Battalions, Northumberland Fusiliers, also known respectively as the 1st - 4th Tyneside Irish who recruited men of Irish extraction. Two of these battalions were disbanded in France in February 1918, possibly due to heavy casualties, and the remaining two finished the war out there. The 5th Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers was never linked with the Tyneside Irish and the 1914 birth certificate does show that battalion, albeit with the 't' not crossed. It is, however, a birth certificate and not an army record, comprising information given by the person registering the birth, and it may be your man joined the 5th Battn. in 1914, or earlier, but had aspirations of being transferred to one of the Tyneside Irish battalions when they were being formed in November that year. What was the date of birth in 1914?

merleyone

Comment

have pmd you

Comment

found army records pm me

Comment

Thanks for your pm val, I've replied

Hi Merleyone, thanks for that information, it is very interesting, as is anything to do with the great war....the date of birth on the 1914 certificate is 18th November 1914, but it wasn't registered until the 9th Feb 1915, I hope this nails something?

Comment

Working...
                      X