2nd Anglo Boer War Records - Walter Henry Rowland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Anglo Boer War Records - Walter Henry Rowland

I am unable to find these AB2 records on Ancestry.co (am I missing something) - are they by any chance on FMP (not a website I am used to) - for the last set I got (for the above's brother) I actually visited TNA and got them with no problem. I never had a dod for Walter and sparse details - he was a great irritation to me ...............now, having found what I have printed below I feel bad for thinking that about him.

I have just found a very sad story:
    "[I]searching for more facts ie birth place ,also my great grandparents,walter served in the 2nd boer war he suffered horrific facial injuries .walter was so badly injured he was left where he fell -pressumed dead. his wife emily was informed walter was missing pressumed dead .however walter returned home .emily had re-married but returned back to walter after being granted an anulment from her 2nd husband. my mothers birth was a result of their reunion -lucy foster born 1914[/I]"

The above chap's brother is my Grandfather ............... have left a message for the poster of the message I found on a Tree as I have the info she wants but I would like also to get hold of the AB2 records.

Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 20-12-14, 23:43.

Have pm'd you Sue.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

you dont say when he was born ? may have found something

Comment

He was born in 1871 at Forton Barracks, Alverstoke, Hampshire (comes under Gosport)
        Parents: George Foster and Mary Ann Rowland

Intrigued ..................Sue

Comment

His records, if they have survived, should be on FMP, or possibly Ancestry amongst the WW1 records. There's a PIN file (Pension award file) at the National Archives for a Walter Rowland - might be him, although you'd have to look at it to check. The year 1933 in the description MIGHT refer to year of death

Reference: PIN 71/5088
          Description:

Rowland Walter
          Date: 1889-1933
          Held by: The National Archives, Kew
          Legal status: Public Record
          Access conditions: Open Immediately
          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I'll have a look at that now - have been on TNA site for hours (driving me crazy). I have, however, been wondering how correct the story is - the brother of Walter Henry Foster was William Foster (the chap with the Home Guard GC who I have had mixed up with another one - I might have found a new ASC service no. for him i.e. 127331!) and William Foster was also in the 2AB War having gone out as a Royal Fusilier Territorial and transferred to the Imperial Light Horse - however, he also was injured out there - his horse fell on him in battle and broke his leg! I got William's AB War record from a TNA visit some years ago with very little problem but had no idea until yesterday that Walter Henry Foster had also been there - I have to admit I would like to see a little more proof that Walter was there because the story of him eventually coming home (was he is SA recovering or here in UK) and his wife having remarried having been told he was dead and getting an annulment of her second marriage doesn't quite gel I now realise. The reason for this is that I have her marriage to Walter Henry for 1906 - it won't be a second marriage because they wouldn't have needed to re-marry since they were married all the time - however, the dates don't match at all .............. bit of a mystery there somewhere.
            I think, after hours of searching I may just have found William Fosters Military number - I found a captain in the Army Service Corps with the no. 127331 - can't download it because the site has suddenly refused my log in - have got new log in no. and still can't get in but I can also look for that on Ancestry or FMP - since they have altered FMP I actually haven't used it - not a member but handy to be able to buy credits.

Sue

Comment

Working...
            X