Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Census: Probably Everyone Knows how to do this except me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census: Probably Everyone Knows how to do this except me!

I have a particularly interesting census for 1901 for a farm called Talyglanau, in a township called Tafolog/Tafalog in Cemmaes/Cemmes, Montgomeryshire. I want to look at all the other census for that place i.e. 1841 - 1911. How do I find a batch of census like this i.e. the RG number for the 1901 census is RG 13/519 but I have no idea how the RG numbers work - are there sets with numbers for different places. I am sure I saw something for the 1841 census not so long ago that made me think it was possible to find the census for individual places by going through batches.
    The http for RG 13/519 is not on the actual census once saved to my Tree and I can't even remember how I got it - think someone sent it to me actually (as a photocopy).
    Can I do this as a straight lookup on ancestry.co.uk?

Sue

As a start ... you will find RG numbers by clicking on "The Census" link at the top of this page - which will take you to this page in the reference library ..

You can search Findmypast by address - or you could search the Ancestry census just using the location, e.g. Tafolog. Doesn't appear to be a very big place as 1851 only gives 85 people living there, so you could open the pages and scroll through. (Haven't checked the other years.)

There is also the Historical Streets Project which was done by the National Archives and although it is not still active the data has been archived. Only covers 1841 > 1891 census .. but have had a quick look and don't think the registration district you are looking for is included.
    This Page is [ARCHIVED CONTENT] and shows what the site page http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Your_Archives:Historical_Streets_Project looked like on 21 Feb 2013 at 23:32:17
    Elaine

Comment

Many thanks indeed for that Elaine. I shall start searching now!

Sue

Comment

Working...
      X