Anybody actually found a will on the new site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody actually found a will on the new site

i have searched for 6 wills so far on Findawill ,and I know there is one at least as the probate is on Ancestry in 1958 but have found none at all am I just unlucky?

Yes, I've found some Val.

There are three tabs along the top of the search page - are you selecting the right one?
    Elaine

Comment

have you checked the right year tab Val? it defaults back to wills and probate 1996 to present

I have just looked for one that I know is there, [in 1930] and one that I didn't know was there in 2003!
      Last edited by Darksecretz; 19-12-14, 21:05.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

snap! Elaine...
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

aha well ??? funny you should say that I did find I was clicking on the wrong years to start with, but soon realised that, and I have gone a few years later on each one, wondered if maybe they had not all been done yet?

Comment

I've just spent the past week going through my entire family history file (nearly 12,000 names) and have checked the wills index for everyone who died in UK since 1966 (up to that date was already covered by Ancestry). I've found a massive 560 relevant records, most of whom I did not have the exact date of death previously so it has been a worthwhile exercise. Also have been able to confirm a few deaths where I wasn't sure previously, with the additional info of the deceased's address (at least up until 1996 - unfortunately that info is not available from that date onwards). I probably won't purchase any of the actual wills but the index itself has been very useful, and it's a free resource too which is always a bonus.

One tip - if you want to skip through a number of pages (e.g. with common names such as Smith or Jones), rather than page through one by one, you can change the page number in the address bar at the top of your browser and hit return (you do however have to move off of page 1 first in order to do this). With a bit of practice you can narrow in on the first name you want fairly quickly, without having to go through hundreds of pages!

Cheers,
            Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Perth View Post
              One tip - if you want to skip through a number of pages (e.g. with common names such as Smith or Jones), rather than page through one by one, you can change the page number in the address bar at the top of your browser and hit return (you do however have to move off of page 1 first in order to do this). With a bit of practice you can narrow in on the first name you want fairly quickly, without having to go through hundreds of pages!

Cheers,
              Richard
              That's a useful tip Richard, I've got some Smiths I've been putting off as going through page by page was getting tedious.

I found many wills and to my surprise nothing at all for two people who had been quite wealthy in their lifetime. I was given a copy of my granny's will by my aunt and now know that it never went to probate.

Comment

Oh wow! I had missed the filling in of the gap between Ancestry's final date and 1996. Great to see those pages! Thanks for alerting me. I know what I'll be doing in the quiet period in the new year!
                Anne

Comment

I was only looking for one and didn't find it - I assume he didn't make a Will.
                  Could some kind person remind me of the website as the link was on my old computer - have changed computers in the last few days and lost all my "links"!

Sue

Comment

Think I'll have a lie down ,just spent ages looking for one before I realised I had put in her maiden name

Comment

Many thanks indeed Kat. Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        i have searched for 6 wills so far on Findawill ,and I know there is one at least as the probate is on Ancestry in 1958 but have found none at all am I just unlucky?
                        Don`t forget as well that if they died towards the end of a year it will probably be on the next year. I have found that with quite a few.

Comment

It's worth mentioning that if a person made their will in Scotland and died in England or Wales, there will be an entry in the England & Wales probate register but the actual will could be deposited in Scotland.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Also worth mentioning that some wills can go to Probate many years after the death. I have one which is over 20 years later! If the family don't want/can't be bothered for business or personal reasons they don't have to do it immediately. Of course most want to have Probate as soon as possible to get the affairs sorted out (and, to be mercenary, get the money!)
                            Anne

Comment

I have searched for years after too as I found one ages ago which was years after the death, but hadn't thought about that Uncle John thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X