Find my Past, a little deflated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find my Past, a little deflated.

Ok so I gave in and bought some credits on Find my Past, 60 for just over £6, as I had found 5 records relating to my grandfather's military service, census and birth/marriage.
    What did I expect?
    Well I have used up most of the credits already the first morning, 2 service records were almost exactly the same (1 number different, which was annoying!) and the census record image was far too small to see the writing! It disappeared half way through my download. I couldn't find anywhere to resize the image before printing.
    The site says the images are full screen but they don't say that they revert to just half a page when you print them off? I would have liked to save it to my computer to enlarge further but I couldn't?

So what did I do wrong? I'm a bit disappointed.

Also how accurate are the records?
    I had a totally different Army unit to the one I got, but if it's true that that was his first unit then I have found something out I didn't know.
    Last edited by TwigletNumber5; 17-12-14, 23:08.
    Twiglet

have pmd you

Comment

In the blue bar at the top in FMP click on the "My Records" tab. This will contain any records that you paid for and opened. Download the image again to your computer to a folder or for speed to your desk top.
      Find it on desktop and open it with an editing program - I use Microsoft Office Picture manager. You need to crop the image to get rid of all the black edging - this will save on your black ink when printing. This should print out an almost A4 size but if it doesn't select fit to frame.

Edit: If you want to view the image again on your computer through FMP click on the transcription first and then view image..
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 17-12-14, 23:32.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks for that, I didn't know they were saved to the account.

Val, thanks for the email.
        Twiglet

Comment

A bit late now, but FMP often have offers running, which work out cheaper than buying credits.

There appear to be two current offers - both via findmypast.co.uk
          • £1 for one month (code FHSANTA14)
          • 50% discount on a yearly subscription, both UK and World (code SANTA14) - can be added on to existing subscription should you wish!

If you do take out a subscription with FMP, even via one of the offers, make sure you untick the auto renew option if you don't wish to continue with the sub after the expiry date.
          Elaine

Comment

Well done Elaine, I have just got the £1 for one month.

Rgds Matt
            My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Nice one Elaine - I just got my *fourth* £1 monthly sub for this year

Cheers,
              Richard
              Last edited by Richard in Perth; 19-12-14, 08:13.

Comment

aw Nice one, cheers for that.
                Twiglet

Comment

Very good I also got them, I dare not tell you how many I have had this year ...I also have 110 free credits, but dont seem to be able to use those, not sure why, as they own show when I have a subcription, and of course I dont need them then.....hmmm wondering if I could use then for 'World' thanks for the code Elaine, I was looking for one, but couldnt find one....

Lilly

Comment

I just tried and it said the offer isn't on now!!!! Doh.

On another note, in my records/searches bit, can I re-click on my original searches without incurring the 5 credits again?
                    (can't you tell I am very new to paying for searches.) LOL
                    Last edited by TwigletNumber5; 19-12-14, 11:05.
                    Twiglet

Comment

I tried just a few minutes ago and was successful (maybe just lucky).

Thanks to Elaine for letting us know about this - would appreciate knowing any other offers as they come up. It's an expensive hobby as it is, so a cheap short term sub. is a welcome bonus! Thanks again Elaine

Comment

I might retry then?

OK I tried and it said voucher not valid!!!! It doesn't like me.
                        Last edited by TwigletNumber5; 19-12-14, 11:12.
                        Twiglet

Comment

Yes twigletnumber5, keep trying it should work it took me a few goes, last time I did notice I had to go back up the page to subcriptions and on the right where the One months sub is I think its £9.95 or something like that, anyway it had changed to £1.00 so clicked on that and I was away.....haha...Lilly

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly the flower View Post
                            Yes twigletnumber5, keep trying it should work it took me a few goes, last time I did notice I had to go back up the page to subcriptions and on the right where the One months sub is I think its £9.95 or something like that, anyway it had changed to £1.00 so clicked on that and I was away.....haha...Lilly
                            Just tried again and still no luck
                            I am kicking myself really, because yesterday or day before, I did see the register amount down to £1 and couldn't understand it, I thought it was a catch or something, so didn't take up the offer. But you can rest assured I will indeed be taking notice of any offers again in future.

. Bertie I think you were lucky. Good for you.
                            Last edited by TwigletNumber5; 19-12-14, 11:27.
                            Twiglet

Comment

Twiglet - I've just tried both codes and they both appear to be valid. Might be worth changing to a different browser to see if it makes any difference.
                              Scroll down the page and put the code in before you select the type of subscription that you want, e.g. month or year - or year worldwide!

Code for month is: FHSANTA14
                              Code for year is: SANTA14
                              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                Twiglet - I've just tried both codes and they both appear to be valid. Might be worth changing to a different browser to see if it makes any difference.
                                Scroll down the page and put the code in before you select the type of subscription that you want, e.g. month or year - or year worldwide!

Code for month is: FHSANTA14
                                Code for year is: SANTA14

Don't know what I was doing wrong but I did what you suggested and it worked,
                                Yay Brilliant! I have a month for £1. I unclicked the auto renew , so it should be ok. Thanks Elaine.
                                Twiglet

Comment

Working...
                                X