Difficulty finding a person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty finding a person

Hi I'm having great difficulty finding a person in my family tree, its had quite a few people stumped

Her names May Davis (maiden name foster) shes my grandmothers sister
    Born possibly 1922 and died 1980 Hindley, wigan, Lancashire

parents are John and Sarah Ellen (maiden name Disley/Houghton)

Sarah Ellen was possibly born out of wedlock hence the two last names, birth cert it says Disley but on census it says Houghton.

Also on children's birth certs two say mothers maiden name Disley - rest says Houghtons.

Ive found her marriage on line she married a Joseph davis and have found her grave, shes buried with my grandmother Nancy crompton
    there mother Sarah Ellen and also her husband Joseph, it says on the grave also Daughters of above,
    picture of grave is on line http://billiongraves.com/pages/recor...Davies/6561230

Except for those two events i can not find anything at all, i can find all the rest of the siblings on BMD and have found Baptism info for them,
    but nothing what so ever on May, she seems to be a witness quite a lot at some of the marriage events and is god mother to one of her sisters.

Jane

Also anyone any advice on how i can find info on a person when it says Illegitimate' is written in the groom's Father's Name column, born circa 1834.

Her married surname was Davies and not Davis according to her death registraton:

First name(s) MAY
    Last name DAVIES
    Gender Female
    Birth day 19
    Birth month 5
    Birth year 1922
    Age -
    Death quarter 2
    Death year 1980
    District WIGAN
    County Lancashire
    Volume 39
    Page 2083
    Country England
    Record set England & Wales deaths 1837-2007
    Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records

She was born 19th May 1922 according to this.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Sarah Ellen Disley was born in 1898. Her mother married Houghton in 1900, hence Sarah llen used both surnames.

Is it possible that May was registered as Gladys May? If so, there is a possible birth for her in 1922 as Houghton - this could be a clerical error in the index. (Straw clutching!).

OC

Comment

Sorry yes - that's tiredness setting in as not had any sleep yet after work,
        have edited and corrected it.

Thank you for that, gives me a little bit more about her.

Comment

So this is the birth of Nancy Crompton from the gravestone:

First name(s) NANCY
          Last name FOSTER
          Birth year 1923
          Birth quarter 1
          Registration month -
          Mother's last name DISLEY
          District WIGAN
          County Lancashire
          Country England
          Volume 8C
          Page 85
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

cant figure out how to edit a post - so have left it.

Wouldn't it have Gladys may on the marriage cert though?

this is the marriage.

Marriage: 27 Dec 1941 St Peter, Hindley, Lancashire, England
            Joseph Davies - 21, Haulage Hand, Bachelor, 32 Gaskell Street Hindley
            May Foster - 19, Spinster, 73 Platt Lane Hindley
            Groom's Father: Henry Davies, Labourer
            Bride's Father: John Foster, Collier
            Witness: James Henry Davies; Alice Foster
            Married by Banns by: Leonard Geary
            Register: Marriages 1934 - 1941, Page 125, Entry 249
            Source: Original register at Wigan Archives

Comment

John Houghton married Mary Ann Disley in 1900.

1901 Census
              3, Longton Street, Hindley, Wigan, Lancashire
              Jno Houghton Head Married Male 25 1876 Coal Miner Hewer Hindley, Lancashire, England
              Mary A Houghton Wife Married Female 23 1878 - Ince, Lancashire, England
              Sarah E Houghton Daughter - Female 2 1899 - Hindley, Lancashire, England
              Frank O Jolley Boarder Married Male 21 1880 Colliery Surface Labourer Salford, Lancashire, England
              Margt A Jolley Boarder Married Female 22 1879 - urham, England
              Wm Jolley Boarder - Male 0 1901 - Durham, England

The family in the 1911 Census:

John Houghton Head Married Male 35 1876 Hindley Lancs Coal Hewer
              Mary Ann Houghton Wife Married Female 32 1879 Hindley Lancs
              Sarah Ellen Houghton Daughter - Female 12 1899 Hindley Lancs School
              Daniel Houghton Son - Male 9 1902 Hindley Lancs School
              John Houghton Son - Male 5 1906 Hindley Lancs -
              14 Lougton St Hindley, Hindley, Lancashire
              Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 17-12-14, 13:14.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Here is Sarah Ellen Disley's baptism:

Baptism: 3 Dec 1899 St Stephen, Burnley, Lancashire, England
                Sarah Ellen Disley - [Child] of Edward Disley & Mary Ann
                Abode: 43 Parliament Street
                Godparents: John Glyne; Florrie Bailey; Eliza Philpots
                Baptised by: James Cranbrook
                Register: Baptisms 1896 - 1901, Page 63, Entry 566
                Source: LDS Film 1849648
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

Hmm, I'm getting confused. That Sarah Ellen with her parents is on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses in Burnley.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Here is the marriage of John Houghton and Mary Ann Disley:

Marriage: 2 Jun 1900 St Peter, Hindley, Lancashire, England
                    John Houghton - 24, Collier, Bachelor, 425 Liverpool Road
                    Mary Ann Disley - (X), 21, Spinster, 111 Darby Lane
                    Groom's Father: John Houghton, Collier
                    Bride's Father: John Disley, Collier
                    Witness: Samuel Houghton; Mary Jane Houghton
                    Married by Banns by: Joseph Alfred Palmer Curate
                    Register: Marriages 1889 - 1902, Page 205, Entry 409

She was a spinster.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

Please ignore post #8.
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

If you wanted to order Sarah Ellen Disley's birth certificate here are the details:

irst name(s) SARAH ELLEN
                        Last name DISLEY
                        Birth year 1899
                        Birth quarter 1
                        Registration month -
                        Mother's last name -
                        District WIGAN
                        County Lancashire
                        Country England
                        Volume 8C
                        Page 74
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

A very tight fit for a May Foster born 19 May 1922 and then a Nancy born Q1 in 1923!

OC

Comment

I am wondering if May was possibly SISTER of Sarah Ellen and brought up by Sarah and her husband? There really doesn't seem to be time for her birth.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              I am wondering if May was possibly SISTER of Sarah Ellen and brought up by Sarah and her husband? There really doesn't seem to be time for her birth.

OC
                              May was born on 19th may 1922
                              Nancy was born on 23rd of feb 1923

I agree its a very tight fit, could be done if Nancy was born early, but things don't fit in some how.

Comment

Elizabeth its all confusing, as there's also another john and sarah ellen foster, but living in golborne having kinds around the same time,
                                so i have two john and sarah ellen fosters who lived only a few miles away from each other.

Comment

Originally posted by janef View Post
                                  cant figure out how to edit a post - so have left it.

Wouldn't it have Gladys may on the marriage cert though?

this is the marriage.

Marriage: 27 Dec 1941 St Peter, Hindley, Lancashire, England
                                  Joseph Davies - 21, Haulage Hand, Bachelor, 32 Gaskell Street Hindley
                                  May Foster - 19, Spinster, 73 Platt Lane Hindley
                                  Groom's Father: Henry Davies, Labourer
                                  Bride's Father: John Foster, Collier
                                  Witness: James Henry Davies; Alice Foster
                                  Married by Banns by: Leonard Geary
                                  Register: Marriages 1934 - 1941, Page 125, Entry 249
                                  Not necessarily because they asked your name at the time with no need to provide a birth certificate to prove it. She may not even have known she was registered as Gladys May as many people didn't need a birth cert for anything in those days. If she was always called may then that was her name!
                                  Margaret

Comment

My theory FWIW:

May is not a child of this marriage, the birth dates are just too tight PLUS there is no registration of birth, why not, all the others were registered. I think she was a Houghton child, either Sarah Ellen's sister or perhaps a more distant relative. I would want to get Gladys Mary Houghton's BC, although I do realise this is a wild shot.

Incidentally, Sarah Ellen's parents had a daughter, Margaret MAY, born and died in 1904. Do we know when Mary Ann Houghton died? Could she have died in childbirth in 1922, or maybe later, and Sarah Ellen took on her baby sister.

(The other couple, John Foster and Sarah Ellen...he is a watchmaker/mender, she is Sarah Ellen Whalley).

OC

Comment

Regarding the gravestone - this appears to have been done "all of a piece" and not before 1993. Therefore it isn't necessarily strictly accurate. People only know what they think they know and if May was considered to be Sarah Ellen's child, then who would question that when commissioning a gravestone.

I think you need to widen your reasearch backwards and see if you can work out which extended family member might have given birth to May and then handed her over (for whatever reason) to John Foster and Sarah Ellen.

OC

Comment

Mary Ann died around 1936,
                                        from what i can find she had a child in 1917, Elizabeth houghton, don't know if she had any further children after that

Im going to try and find each family members marriages any children born and deaths and just go through them all i think,
                                        something has to turn up.

Comment

Working...
                                        X