A Newman conundrum - please advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Newman conundrum - please advise

In May 1861 I have arelative, John Newman marrying Sarah Crane a widow at St Thomas inStepney. His father is given as Richard Newman a carpenter, andSarah's father is given as John Newman.
    John Newman's father isindeed Richard Newman and the family came from Eltisley inCambridgeshire. But I am confused about Sarah's father.

In the 1861 census Johnand Sarah Newman are living at West Ham and their family consists of
    John aged 31 acarpenter of Bourn Cambs
    Sarah is 36 also ofCambs
    Henry Newman son aged14 a rivetter of Bourn
    Joshua Newman son aged12 also of Bourn
    and a nephew AlfredNewman aged 2

Going back to the 1851census I found a Sarah Crane living with husband William Crane inHntingdon
    It shows Sarah ashaving come from Bourn Cambs
    They have childrenWilliam Crane aged 9, Henry Crane aged 3 and Joshua Crane aged 1.
    These last two boys tiein with the next census and her marriage to John Newman

On FamilySearch I foundanother marriage for for John Newman and Sarah Crane in January 1853at Bourn – their Fathers were given as John Newman for the groomand Edward Crane for the bride. Nothing is mentioned about their marital status.

Now I am reallyconfused, and really need help to sort out the marriages.
    Was this Sarah marriedthree times? 1.William Crane 2.John Newman 3.John Newman
    or was there anotherSarah Crane?

Help would be muchappreciated please.

Val, the only thing I can find at the moment is banns (n0 marriage) for William Crane bachelor and Sarah Newman spinster at All Saint Poplar on 14, 21 and 28 June 1840. Can't find the birth for William Crane be 1844 Strattford, Middlesex on the 1851 census with them.

Tora

Comment

Did find marriage on Free BDM Jul quarter 1840 Vol 2 Page 300 but not the original one at Poplar.

Tora

Comment

Free BDM deaths William Crane Oct 1860 St Ives Huntingdonshire and William Nicholas Crane Jan 1862 at the same place. There are no deaths for a William Crane 1851 to 1854 on these records.

Tora

Comment

Tora that looks like it could be the marriage because one of the cousins a generation ago who lived in Eltisley and knew John Newman mentioned in her handwritten tree that his wife was a Newman. (she hadn't written anything else about the wife though) That would also account for the fact that in the 1861 marriage she gave her father as John Newman - I think there were a few by that name who lived in Bourn.

An 1840 marriage to William Crane though means that she must have been a good deal older than John Newman as he was born in 1832.
          The ages in the various census seem to vary, however the 1901 does give her age as 8 years older than John.

Is it possible that William Crane died in 1860 in Huntingdon, and then she married John Newman in London in 1861,
          with the two younger boys living with them under the surname of Newman?

Tora thank you for all that information. I am going to sleep on it for now and see how it looks in the morning.
          My head has really been in a spin with it all......

Comment

Originally posted by Tora View Post
            Free BDM deaths William Crane Oct 1860 St Ives Huntingdonshire and William Nicholas Crane Jan 1862 at the same place. There are no deaths for a William Crane 1851 to 1854 on these records.

Tora
            The William Crane died 1860 was age 4 & was buried at Fen Drayton, St Mary the Virgin, Cambridgeshire.
            The William Nicholas Crane died 1862 was age 75 & was buried 13th Jan at Houghton St Mary the Virgin. Hunts.
            The above transcribed as Nicholls & not Nicholas.
            Moggie

Comment

Thank you Moggie, I can rule those two deaths out then.
              I have been pondering as to whether maybe William and Sarah moved to London and William found work as a labourer, which is what he did in the 1851 census. John Newman was a carpenter and worked in the building game so they could have known each other there.
              That aside, I am quietly confident that it was this Sarah Crane who married our John Newman as the two young lads names were the same as in the 1851 census but with the Crane surname. From following census it looks as though Sarah and John didn't have any children of their own.

I think I can rule out the 1853 marriage as another pair of John Newman/Sarah Cranes - might even be Sarah's brother marrying Williams sister..................but I think I am stretching things there.........

Does anyone else have any other thoughts before I tie this one up?

Comment

I have just discovered their wedding on ancestry - it is transcribed as William CRAM

14th July 1840
                William Crane of full age a policeman of Poplar - Fa. John Crane a thatcher
                Sarah Newman - a minor of Poplar - Fa. John Newman a carpenter
                witnesses: George Robins and Elizabeth Newman

So I know I have the right Sarah there.
                I wonder why William gave up the police force and became a labourer in Huntingdon. It may have been to look after his father as they were living with him in the 1851 census, he was aged 77

Comment

Have you looked at the places on Google maps (other maps are available!)? Eltisley, Bourn and Huntingdon are all quite close together. Doesn't help much with the original query!
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you Uncle John, yes I had realised that they were all close by each other.
                    I'm thinking that Bourn was probably full of Newman and Crane families, and when I get a spare minute I am going to walk around the village in the 1841 census and see for myself just who was living there......:D

We used to visit Eltisley as children to catch up with the Newman and Flinders cousins, and I always said I would like to live there. Can't see it happening now though......

Comment

Working...
                    X