Is he Irish or Stocktonian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is he Irish or Stocktonian?

Evening people. I was wonder if anyone could possibly be willing to help me please?

As you may know I'm doing a tree for someone as a Christmas present and I've come across their 2X Great Grandfather John Brown but I can't make out if he's Irish or from Stockton-On-Tees. His 1871 Census says that he's from Roscommon in Ireland, his 1881 says Stockton-On-Tees. His son Michael was born in Middlesbrough, 1860 and that is how I found John and his wife Bridget, again saying Ireland.

There is a John born in Stockton at the same time that he was born- 1838 and it's got me a little confused.

Thanks guys
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

I’d be inclined to get one of the children’s birth certs to get Bridget’s maiden name and then search for her and John’s marriage. If they married in Ireland, then he probably came from there too.

I suspect an error in the 1881 census with the Stockton information being dittoed down a line too many. I think he probably came from Roscommon, as per the 1871.

I take it you can’t find him in any other censuses?
    Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Hi Elwyn, I have now found him in Scotland for the 1901 & 1911 Census Records with Ireland written down that I can see.

Comment

You're lucky to have got Roscommon as a place of birth - it usually just says Ireland. I've got only one which says in 1901 Cork or Cook but that still hasn't got me very far.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Ireland is a tricky one isn't it? One of my Lennon's just had Ireland but a few tree's I'd seen pointed towards Armagh which is where I found his marriage luckily. Still not 100% about the birth or parents but I'm leaving it as it is for now, until something more concrete comes along.

The Tubridy's all seen to come from the County Clare are of Ireland so that's slightly easier, unless you count the thousands of boys with the same name born at the same time.

Comment

Working...
          X