Is this odd ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this odd ?

I sent away for two deaths certificates for a husband and wife who had always lived in Frome, Somerset.

Annie Butler
    June Q 1894 Frome 5c - 296

When it arrived it said Registration District Frome, Sub District Frome, in the county of Somerset. This was the correct cert.

Thomas Butler
    June Q 1865 Frome 5c - 359

This certificate said Registration District Frome, Sub District Nunney, in the county of Lancaster. This was the wrong cert as Thomas was only 28 hours when he died.

Considering Somerset and Lancaster are not even close to each other, why would they both be 5c ?

Off to buy another death cert for Thomas Butler - June Q 1866 Frome 5c - 379 - age 71 years. Hopefully this is Somerset and not Lancaster !

bcbrit
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

As Nunney is near Frome, I can only think it could be an error by the Registrar. Could Lancaster and Somerset look the same in scrawly handwriting ?

I see that the freeBMD transcriber noted nothing odd (but thats just from the index).

Good luck with the next one !
    Last edited by dicole; 13-12-14, 03:30.
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

A clerical mistake by whoever was writing out the copy.

OC

Comment

Whenever I get a certificate, I add a postem in the hopes this may help another researcher in the future.

I did the same with this one, adding the county of Lancaster just in case the baby Thomas did die in Lancaster.

Tomorrow I will send for the one that I hope is mine.

When I looked at the scan of the register it most definitely says Frome. So as OC says a clerical error when writing it into the register.

bcbrit
        George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

The Thomas Butler who died in 1865 must be Thomas Butler, 0, who was buried on 5 April 1865 at St Andrew's church, Mells, Somerset, just north of Frome, and the Thomas Butler who died in 1866 must be the Thomas Butler, 71, buried on 5 April 1866 at Vallis Road Cemetery, Frome, Somerset. Coincidentally, both burials on the same day of the same month, one year apart.

merleyone

Comment

If we go with the clerical error on the part of the person who wrote out the certificate, I would contact the GRO and ask for it to be checked and if necessary a correct certificate sent. You gave them the correct index reference, and clearly 5c isn't Lancaster. I've got births in Preston and Barrow-in-Furness in the 1890s and they are Volume 10.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ

I think the certificates are for the correct people. The clerk has accidentally written Lancaster instead of Somerset - mind not on the job.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                UJ

I think the certificates are for the correct people. The clerk has accidentally written Lancaster instead of Somerset - mind not on the job.

OC
                That's what I thought too, so the GRO ought to supply a replacement certificate correctly done (unless it is an error in the original GRO register of course).
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi there,
                  I am sorry I haven't responded to everyone - been in bed with the dreaded lurgy, and just beginning to think that I may be on the mend ( fingers crossed).

I looked at the scan of the original register and it is handwritten. It definitely says Frome 5c etc. So I guess the error started from when it was copied from the original register. Someone obviously had a bad day !

Merleyone found that the baby Thomas had been buried in Mells, Somerset. I have put a postem on the freebmd site in the hopes it will help someone else.

bcbrit

Comment

Hi Merleyone,

Thank you for the burial information !

May I ask where you found the burials of both the baby Thomas and adult Thomas ? Do the burial records give anymore information ?

I am hoping that the Thomas Butler died in Frome 1866 was the husband of Ann Butler who died in Frome 1894. He was a tailor, and in the 1861 census was living in Butts Road. In the 1871 census Ann was living in Broadway Street.

bcbrit

Comment

bcbrit,

I have sent you a pm.

merleyone

Comment

Hi Merleyone,

Thank you !

bcbrit

Comment

Working...
                        X