1901 and 1911 - compare writing/signature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1901 and 1911 - compare writing/signature

Just a twiglet in my tree - would be interested in opinions as to whether the James McConnells of 1901 and 1911 are the same person, based primarily on the handwriting, as the factual info contained in each return doesn't give enough to be definitive:

1901 census of Ireland
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.i.../nai000715175/

1911 census of Ireland
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.i.../nai001487098/

Thanks.

Christine
    Last edited by Karamazov; 07-12-14, 20:14.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

In ten years, handwriting/signatures can change a bit.

Have you seen the marriage record of James McConnell & Eliza Jane (Mrs) Power (née ??) in 1907-08? Can you compare the register signature with the 1901 record?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

He's also switched job types, if it's the same man: from Engineer on board ship to GPO Wireman. Not impossible. But, if he's normally on board ship, would that be why he's been difficult to find in 1911? (I'm presuming he's been difficult to find or you wouldn't be querying this one.)

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Just purely on handwriting I would say probably not the same. One signature appears to have a Mc before the Connell the second is MConnell.

Vera

Comment

Hi Christine

Don't think it is the same signature, the capital M and C are different

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
            One signature appears to have a Mc before the Connell the second is MConnell.

Vera
            That was my initial thought re the signature too, but the name is written as McConnell in line 1 in both returns. Then I was looking at other common elements filled in by the head of family on both returns - eg read and write, Belfast, Prebyterian, any other letter strings that may be common to both records.
            Unfortunately, I can't view the records side by side on the iPad to pore over them in detail so perhaps someone who can, can look at these other elements too.
            It's actually James's son, Henry, who married into my tree, who is of more interest to me, but I always like to include some details of the "incomer's" parents when I can.
            Last edited by Karamazov; 09-12-14, 09:13.
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

This could be the GPO Wireman (of 1911) in 1901

Eliza MConnell Head aged 65 Widow Presbyterian b Co Antrim
              James MConnell Son aged 33 Unmarried Presbyterian b Belfast City Occ Wireman Postal Telegraph
              Lizzie MConnell daughter aged 39 Unmarried Presbyterian b Belfast Ciity

living 236 Blyth Street (St George Ward), Belfast, Co Antrim.

Unfortunately he did not sign the census form

Vera
              Last edited by vera2013; 10-12-14, 00:34.

Comment

Could be James in 1911 Newport, Wales

Jas McConnell aged 45 married 1st Engineer born Belfast, Co Antrim

He was abord the SS Tenet which was a Belfast owned and built ship. It capsized in 1912 with loss of life. James survived.

Vera
                Last edited by vera2013; 10-12-14, 03:10.

Comment

Working...
                X