Microsoft essentials stopped virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft essentials stopped virus

had this for quite a while now and it just sits quietly in the background , but today went to photobucket which seems to always be slow for me and all of a sudden the essentials box came up and said it was cleaning an infection, good to see it works, but wonder what the trouble was?

Look in the quaranteen tab. You should be able to see what it stopped.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

oh I see now it was virTool:JS/calleenc.A it says severe

Comment

Hi Val

It seems that Photobucket, along with a number of other sites, is infected. Have a look at

http://www.acumin.co.uk/main/news/view/malware-ads-infect-photobucket-tmz-and-java-com/4022

The malware that MSE stopped is a tool which checks your computer for vulnerabilities in Javascript and if it finds them it installs malware onto your computer. At this point it is probably advisable to run a full anti-virus scan of your computer. The recommendation by Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=VirTool%3AJS%2FCalleenc.A

includes a link to a Microsoft scanner.

Given that your AV software has stopped it probably means that you are OK but it is better to be safe than sorry. If you follow the advice in the first link regarding browser plugins you should be able to use Photobucket again.

David

Comment

I use Firefox Adblock so I never see any adverts. I went on Photobucket yesterday and didn't get any warnings or virus etc, and my son said it should be safe. I shall still run a virus scan though.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

thanks for that David I thought it funny it happened when I went on photobucket shall do a full scan just in case.

Comment

Working...
            X