Where is Francis Fieldhouse hiding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Francis Fieldhouse hiding.

Francis was born about 1805 in Wellington, Shropshire, married Ann Gregory Groom b 1812 Shropshire, 15 Oct 1829 in Wellington. On daughter Mary's ch 1832 he was a miner of London. In 1851 Ann is in Hertfordshire, railway contractors wife with 4 children. Can only find her again in 1881 in Lincolnshire, widow and same place in 1891. I think Francis died 1877 at Caistor in Lincolnshire. Can't find him on any census or his family on 1841, 1861 and 1871. Help appreciated.

Tora

Thanks for looking Kat. Yes sorry typing error. I have both of those, which is about all I have. Their children were Richard b 1831 Shropshire, Mary Ann b 1832 London, Catherine b 1840 Sussex, William b 1842 Staffordshire, Jane b 1847 Westmorland and Frances b 1850 Sussex. Obviously moved around a lot.

Tora

Comment

I think all the railway workers must have been at a union meeting or re-union somewhere on 1851 census night. I can't find my railway worker for that day either. I need to find him for his POB and he emigrated in 1853. **sobs**

I realised you had those censuses - just put them up for info - have searched all different ways with all the names - with and without surnames, but nothing stands out. I don't suppose they emigrated and then returned? Plenty of time to do that in 30 years. Seems odd there is not a trace of them in all that time.
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 06-12-14, 21:32.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Kat, thanks again. They definitely knew how to disappear. Can't find them on any immigration records. I guess this is one I will have to put aside.

Tora

Comment

No place of birth or residence shown but Francis, s. of Richard and Mary Fieldhouse, was baptised on 3/2/1805 at All Saints, Wellington, Shropshire. (Shropshire Baptisms)
          In 1851, Ann and her children were at Dinmore Hill in Shropshire and their eldest son, Richard, a miner, was lodging with the previous household on the census schedule. It is highly likely that Francis was not far away as the Hereford Times of 3/5/1851 reported the collapse, following heavy overnight rain, of a cutting being dug at Dinmore Hill. Francis Fieldhouse, the contractor responsible for the work, had been standing on the top of the cutting and shouted a warning but four workmen were caught be the fall. One had his escape impeded by a wheelbarrow and died with a broken neck, jaw, leg and collarbone. Verdict accidental death. On 31/5/1805, the Hereford Times reported another accident at the railway works being undertaken at Dinmore Hill by the contractor, Francis Fieldhouse. Two workmen died on that occasion when the 22 ft high wall of the cutting collapsed and, at the inquest, the Inspector of Works gave evidence that he had been so concerned about the lack of safety on the site that he had spoken to FF on three consecutive days, immediately prior to the accident, about the lack of stretchers (shoring) for the cutting and the risk to workmen. He also said he had only known FF for three weeks but the fall had been proof that the work was not carried out properly. The verdict was accidental death but the Coroner called FF to severely reprimand him and said that great blame was attributable to FF, the contractor, in not taking proper measures to protect his workmen after caution had been given to him by the Inspector of Works.

Unfortunately, none of this helps with your search for his whereabouts subsequently, but it may provide some useful background.

merleyone

Comment

Merleyone, thank you for that it definitely adds something to his story as I knew nothing about him at all. It is interesting to know he was the contractor, even though probably not a very good one. I thought he would just be one of the workman.

Once again, thank you.

Tora

Comment

Working...
            X