Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed over difficult surname

On this 1891 census http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/65...l=ReturnRecord
    I am trying to find out the name of the granddaughter listed with John C Smith and is wife and son - reference position on left is written 300 in the margin. She was born in Earlstown Lancashire. On first looking I thought the surname could be Law or Laws, but haven't found a birth after looking on Free BMD, Lancashire BMD and Ancestry. I have also discounted Raw or Rawe. The L on the word Lancashire is quite definite on the census which led me to believe, on zooming in, that the surname could possibly start with R. I can't see the age as this has a cross through it, and the Christian name isn't too clear, it could be Cath short for Catherine?
    I am sure somebody has much better eyesight than I and could help.
    Thanks in advance!
    Vonny

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Is it perhaps Lewis

She maybe the daughter of Mary Jane Smith who married Joseph Lewis. Catherine is not with family on the 1891

Vera
    Last edited by vera2013; 01-12-14, 18:37.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
      http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=22249315

Is it perhaps Lewis

She maybe the daughter of Mary Jane Smith who married Joseph Lewis. Catherine is not with family on the 1891

Vera
      No, She is definitely not a Lewis, Mary Jane was my grt grandmother and Joseph (John) Albert was my grt grandfather. On the 1881 for John Cliffe (Iliffe) Smith(also a grt. grandfather, he had a daughter aged 19 called Maria who worked as a domestic. Mary Ann Catherine Smith (Watson) was her mother who appears on the 1891 census with brother Edmund Cleveland Smith. I suspect Maria Smith is the mother however I can't find any trace of the child's birth. Hence wanting to know the correct surname. The registration district for Earlstown (Newton le Willows, Newton in Makerfield) is Warrington. The main difficulty is not knowing the correct surname. Going back to Mary Jane who married John Albert Lewis, they married in July 1881 and their first child was born Dec.qtr. 1881. Also the age of the child on the 1891 is not apparent so more difficulty.
      Vonny

Comment

I'm pretty sure her age in 1891 was 7 (compare the 7 on schedule number 297 at top of page).
        How about
        Warrington 8c 218 June quarter 1883 Catherine LAUGH - could be pronounced Law perhaps?
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks for that Judith, but I am convinced after zooming in of the name the first letter is not an L. Look at the way the L is spelt on the census, it has a high loop on the top, and there are a couple of Lancashire's written to compare the writing with. From a distance it looks like L but on closer inspection it is more like an R.
          Vonny

Comment

Looks like Cath Raws age 7 to me.

Margaret

Comment

Vonny,
              there two or three capital L written throughout the sheet all slightly different, probably due to the enumerator being in a hurry, but one in particular seems to be identical to

the surname in doubt and I would go for Cath Laws. Whether the enumerator had spelt the name correctly is a matter of conjecture.
              Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

I have been back to my hard copy and checking back. Vera you could be right. Catherine Mary Lewis b. 1884, daughter of John Alfred LEWIS and Mary Jane Lewis (nee Smith). I have checked back to 1891 for John Alfred LEWIS and wife Mary Jane, and Catherine Mary Lewis is missing from the 1891 census with her parents. In 1901 she is back on census with her parents. So, yes it could be that Catherine did have a "holiday" with her maternal grandparents in the North East in 1891. Looking at the regular occurrences of children being born to her parents perhaps her mum was happy for her to be away for a little while!!! Very sadly Catherine Mary Lewis died in 1904 aged 18 of heart disease.
                Perhaps, as Grumpy suggested the enumerator was in a hurry and his writing differed on occasion.
                Vonny

Comment

I think it is very likely Vonny but for the life of me I can't find her on the GRO Edit meant Ancestry although FS and Lancs BMD have her.

Vera
                  Last edited by vera2013; 01-12-14, 22:16.

Comment

Thanks for your input Vera. My eyes must be getting worse although they have been recently checked, perhaps a new pair of reading glasses might help!!
                    I do already have her registration of birth:
                    Births Sep 1884
                    Lewis Catherine Mary Warrington
                    8c 157

I also have her death certificate.
                    Thanks to everyone for putting me on the right track!
                    Vonny

Comment

Working...
                    X