Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richardson and Worcestershire of Worcestershire

Hi all.

I'm working on a brickwall, connected to my Woodhouse line of Salwarpe, Worcestershire

I descend from John Allen and Margery Woodhouse. Margery was the daughter of William Woodhouse 1 and (probably) his wife Margery. William, her father, left his will in 1603.

Richard Woodhouse, her brother, married Christian, and left his will in 1609. Christian may have remarried a man named Thomas Smith (he was called the father-in-law of William Woodhouse, Christian's son in his will)

William Woodhouse 2, the son of Richard and Christian, and so Margery's nephew, left his in 1640. He married Elinor Spooner, daughter of William Spooner of Worcester in 1621.

And it is that will that leads to my brickwall. In the will he mentions his "cousins" Mr Stephen Richardson, and Richard Richardson, tailor, of Worcester. What I would like to do is find out what the exactly the connection is.

From my use of online resources, as well as the wills of William, Richard, and William Woodhouse, and the wills of Stephen Richardson (1612) and his son Stephen (1665) I have worked out the following.

Stephen Richardson 1 of Salwarpe. Married to Alice Callowe. Left a will (not yet obtained) in 1599. His wife didn't, but left an administration in 1601. Father of Stephen Richardson 2, as well as Richard, Thomas, Margaret, and Anne.

Stephen Richardson 2 of Salwarpe. Possibly also citizen of Worcester. Married firstly to Isabella or Sybil Dipple of Stoke Prior, in 1594) (died before 1612) and secondly to Frances (surname unknown) (mentioned in husband's will). Will was proved in 1612. His eldest son (possibly born in 1596) was Stephen Richardson 3. His other children were John, Mary, Christian (daughter) and Jane

Stephen Richardson 2 was a witness of the 1603 will of William Woodhouse 1. He was also a witness to the 1608 will of Richard Woodhouse, along with his brothers-in-law Thomas Dipple and William Watkins.

Stephen Richardson 3. Of Salwarpe and also Worcester. Gent. Procurators General of the Constitory Court of the Lord Bishop of Worcester. Married Katherine Crosby, daughter of Robert Crosby and Katherine Berkeley, and granddaughter of Rowland Berkeley and Katherine Hayward, a very prominent Worcestershire family. Their first child I've found was baptised in 1628. Will was proved in 1665. His children were Robert, Stephen, William, John, Samuel, Katherine, Elizabeth, Anne, Dorothy, Jane, Helen, Elizabeth, and Anne.

Richard Richardson, tailor of Worcester. Married to Hester (surname unknown) who was the kinswoman of Richard Cowling of Worcester (left will 1638). Earliest child found was baptised in 1636. Later went to Knightwick, being buried there 1681. Also left a will which I have not obtained yet). Stephen Richardson 4, son of 3, also went to Knightwick, possibly around that time period.

What I am Ow hoping to find out are the married names of the Richardson daughters as well as the maiden names of the Margery and Christian, the wives of William and Christian Woodhouse. My hope is that Margaret, the daughter of Stephen Richardson 1 was the Margery who married William Woodhouse 1, since the two names were interchangeable back then. What I need js information to either confirm or rule this out.

Thank you!

It looks like you have done well getting so far back tanyal I hope you can find help with further research, I have not done so well in all of my lines.

Edna

Comment

Thanks. I lucked out into linking to a family prominent enough to leave wills and other records. Sadly, I have quite a few lines which come to a shuddering halt because they are ordinary families with common surnames often living in big cities.
      Last edited by tanyal; 30-11-14, 23:59.

Comment

I have wills for just farm implements that gave me lots of Family information as people prided themselves in the fact that they owned something even if it was of little value, I have a family member who owns a Sampler that gave me 200 years worth of information back on a farm that is still in the same family, so I don't agree with your family not being prominent enough, my surnames were all major Welsh names that have millions of people with them so try Wills.

Edna

Comment

I have looked for wills for those other lines without success, sadly.

Comment

Well, I've just received evidence of a negative sort. I hired a genealogist to get three Richardson wills and one of Anne Watkins 1634 Dodderhill, who I think may have been the daughter of Stephen Richardson 2

The only evidence relevant to my brick wall appeared in the 1599 will of Stephen Richardson 1, in which he mentioned his daughter Margaret Knight, which means she was not the Margery who was the wife of William Woodhouse. Also, there's no Woodhouse among the legatees or witnesses.

I'm now feeling a bit discouraged. I really wanted to be the descendant of the Richardson family who, among other things, had a court of arms.

Still, there's always the Richardson papers: I've hired a researcher to look into them, and she's going to do so in a couple of weeks. Also, I've decided to check out the Dipple family of Stoke Prior. Maybe the connection is with Richard Woodhouse's wife Christian. Could she have been Stephen Richardson 2's wife's sister? I don't know her maiden name so it's possible. I've got some Dipple wills to order, also one Knight one. I may as well follow up on that lead as well, just to be thorough.

Comment

Working...
            X