chrome keeps crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrome keeps crashing

When I open chrome it suddenly crashes without even getting to a website, any ideas thanks

Hi Val
    I had this, but not recently, I re-installed it and it was fine.
    Robert

Comment

hyer Robert I did that too but it still crashes

Comment

https://support.google.com/chrome/an...42063?hl=en-GB try this Val

Edna

Comment

thanks Edna tried that earlier but cannot get chrome to stay open to do anything

Comment

Hi Val
            it sounds as if something is stopping it running, have you down loaded anything lately, is there any different Icon on your desktop, you can also search in the control panel under ADD or DELETE programmes to see if anything as attached itself to your computer recently, they will have a date, if so delete them.
            Robert

Comment

hi thanks for your response I did install windows updates thats all, now I am getting internet explorer closed due to a programme and chrome only opens for seconds.

Comment

Hi Val

It is feasible that the latest Windows Update is causing a problem but before you try to solve it you should try to find out if that is the root cause.

If Windows came up with an error message (such as the Internet explorer message) then there will be a description of the error (not necessarily easy to understand) in the Windows Event Log. To see those messages go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer and double-click on it to start it. You will get a window looking a bit like an email client (and if you have done this before please excuse my descriptions). You need to look at the Administrative Events filter under Custom views in the first column
                EventViewer.jpg
                In the centre column you will see various errors and warning icons which are date-time stamped and if you select one then underneath it you will get a description which should begin by identifying the faulting application and the module which is at fault. The error featured in my screenshot came when I attempted to open the event viewer without going through the menu system. If you copy the module name into a Google search you may get some more information. Sorry this is all a bit vague but the fact that both Chrome and Intenet Explorer are faulting suggests a system or hardware fault.

David

Comment

My previous screenshot was too small to read so I have uploaded a crop in the hope that it is readable.
                  EventViewer2.jpg

David
                  Last edited by DavidNewton; 01-12-14, 12:46.

Comment

thanks again David well according to the report I have 6460 events? that cannot be right surely ?? I'm not sure what to do next

Comment

Hi Val

I don't know how many you should have, mine reads 1,777 (since the end of August which is when I last reinstalled Windows). It gives you an indication of how miraculaous it is that Windows runs at all .

Before we go on here what I am going to tell you is how to use the list to identify the problem, not how to solve the problem. It may well be that you should look at Windows Update history and uninstall any recent security update to see if it solves the problem.

Back to the Event Viewer.

The events should be in order of date & time with the most recent at the top. If that is not the case then click the Date and Time button to sort them until that is the case. What you need to do is try to identify which errors turn up when you try to run Chrome or IE and the quickest way is to try running them and after things have gone wrong go back and refresh the event log. (There is a "Refresh" line to click near the bottom of the column on the right labelled Actions, Administrative events.

Unfortunately there is no real indication in the actual Administrative Events list, except for an extremely brief indicator under Source, as to what is going wrong, and you will need to select each event in turn reading the General tab in the bottom part of the centre pane. It is best not to bother with the details tab.

Just as a sample of the sort of thing you can expect
                      Faulting application name: mmc.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc808Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18409, time stamp: 0x5315a05a
                      Exception code: 0x00000000
                      Fault offset: 0x000000000000940d
                      Faulting process id: 0x1854
                      Faulting application start time: 0x01d00d682c6dd8ac
                      Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe
                      Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
                      Report Id: 96f00134-795b-11e4-8312-85a43bc2cf80
                      this is the message I was trying to show in my screenshot. mmc.exe is the Microsoft Management Console and is the host program for event viewer. As you can see most of this information is meaningless for us normal mortals but there are clues - where you see a filename and path, then you have an idea what is going wrong and try googling the error to see if anyone has solved it.

David

Comment

thanks very much for perservering with me David I shall have another look

Comment

well now I get the message internet explorer has encountered a problem and had to close , when I googled it told me to uninstall silverlight and reinstall and to also uninstall Java 6 and reinstall update 22 or 23? as it could be an update from windows HELP
                          Is this safe to do Thanks

Comment

Hi Val

Silverlight is Microsoft technology (their effort to replace Flash for playing videos). I can see no harm in un-installing and re-installing it. Java is usually updated automatically (if you allow it) and like Windows it really should be updated regularly to patch any security issues that arise.

If this issue is due to a Windows update it may be worth while doing system restore back to a time before your problem started. System restore is a reversible process so if it doesn't help you can roll back to where you are now.

I don't know which version of windows you are using but the steps are much the same for 7 and 8. Open the Control Panel and look for Recovery. When you select it one of the options available to you should be Open System Restore. This needs administrative privilege so you need to ensure you are running in a user account with administrative privileges.

When you open System Restore youy are given the option of going back to the most recent (recommended) restore point or choosing a different restore point. Check the date and time of the restore to make sure it is prior to your problems starting. There is a brief description of why each restore point was made and there is a button labelled Scan for affected programs which will give you a list of any programs which will be affected by the restore.

Once you have chosen a restore point click next and follow the instructions.

David

Comment

I uninstalled and reinstalled Silverlight , I then uninstalled Java and reinstalled a much more up to date one , I then ran Microsoft Fixit and it did find lots of problems ? which is odd as I always do the updates etc, anyway shall see how we go today thanks for your help David.

Comment

Working...
                              X