X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• searching for info on great grandad

Yesterday we discovered the name of my great grandad
    Private samual legg 240278 of the 11th Bedfordshire regiment
    Info we have is that he died 1917 on March 7th and is buried with honours at green bank cemetery bristol
    I would love to be able to discover more about him as he was never mentioned to my mother

I see on the Commonwealth War Graves website that he was 35 when he died, so born about 1882, and the husband of E Legg of Top Marland Rd, St George, Bristol http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...8856/LEGG,%20S
    Next Task will be to look for him on the 1911 census.
    Last edited by JudithM; 27-11-14, 20:03.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

LEGG_S.pdf do you have this

Comment

He and Elizabeth are on the 1911 census, living at 15a Air Balloon Hill, St George, Bristol (what a great address!) He was a coal miner, hewer. They have two sons Jack aged 2months and Edwin aged 1. It says they have been married 2 years. If we can find the marriage on the GRO index then buying the certificate would give his father's name and occupation.

Comment

This is higly likely to be his marriage:
          1908 December quarter Bristol Registration district
          Volume 6a page 217
          The four names on the page are
          Arthur Samuel Harding
          Samuel Legg
          Elizabeth Jane Parker
          Louisa Watson
          In view of that 1911 census and the wife's initial on the CWGC entry it is most likely that Samuel married Elizabeth and Arthur Harding married Louisa.

By the way, a belated warm welcome to FTF.
          Last edited by JudithM; 27-11-14, 20:14.

Comment

he married an Elizabeth Jane Parker in Dec quarter 1908 Bristol Gloucestershire 6a 217

Comment

think I'l leave you to it Judith;)

Comment

That is absolutely brilliant thank you all so much my mother never knew him as he died in 1917 but grandad never mentioned him and we only found out his name etc yesterday

Comment

Buying the marriage cert is the only way to be absolutely sure of Samuel's father's name but there is a 9 year old Samuel Legg on the 1891 census. One of 7 children of Stephen and Rachel Legg, living at White's Hill, St George, Bristol and all born in St George. Stephen and Rachel were both 47. Stephen's occupation coal miner.
                  If you decide to go for the certificate buy from the GRO http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp where it will only cost £9.25 including postage. Don't be fooled by other websites which charge more.

Comment

I don't have permission to access this

Comment

To my knowledge as just spoken to mother to update her on the above there were 2 sons and 1 daughter in total my grandad being one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        [ATTACH]17473[/ATTACH] do you have this
                        It would seem I do not have the permission to view

Comment

Not sure which site you are having problems accessing as they are all free sites. If its the GRO site just type in www.gro.gov.uk and then look for the link to ordering certificates online, or for the commonwealth war graves site the address is www.cwgc.org

Comment

Hi Spaniel and welcome to FTF
                            I think the daughter may have been Doris M Legg born Bristol Oct-Dec quarter of 1912 ref 6a 254. The two boys will be a posted on the 1911 census by Judith.
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by spaniel View Post
                              To my knowledge as just spoken to mother to update her on the above there were 2 sons and 1 daughter in total my grandad being one of these
                              The daughter must have been born after the 1911 census - probably this one:
                              Doris M LEGG mother's maiden name Parker March quarter 1912 Bristol district 6a 254
                              The website I've used for marriages and births is www.freebmd.org.uk

Update: You beat me to it Chrissie
                              Last edited by JudithM; 27-11-14, 20:37.

Comment

Thank you I'm on the mobile expect that's the reason I will take a look while on the laptop tomorrow just very exciting tracing someone that you have never known
                                Thank you

Comment

Mum said she was known as auntie dor so must be her
                                  Thank you

Comment

I have contacted the Bedfordshire regiment website to see if they had any info on him and what he did etc would be good to get a photo but that maybe a large task

Comment

If you're interested you can buy a photo of the grave here for £3.50

Jackie

Comment

Thank you Jackie the grave yard isn't far from me not sure what condition it's in but would be good to find it

Comment

Working...
                                        X