ordering wills- exchequer court of york

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ordering wills- exchequer court of york

How do you get copies of wills from the exchequer court of york? I know the index is on fmp, so you must be able to get copies?

I only read it quickly, but according to the Learn more link, you get them either from the Borthwick or Nottinghamshire archives.

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi Kyle. I had a look at Carolines link and it definitely sounded as though they may be in Nottingham Archives. I thought I might be able to pick it up for you but when I googled I discovered that the Nottm archives are still working but closed to the public at the moment (I don't know why?). So I took the liberty (hope you don't mind) of giving them a ring to check that the will you want will be there. Apparently it will (no pun intended).

I asked her what the charges are likely to be and she said that if it needed a researcher it could cost about £25 an hour. The lady said that you need to e-mail them giving ALL the details you have i.e. dates, names, places and reference numbers etc and they will get back to you with an estimate of the possible cost. If you wish, you could mention that you are in Australia and a friend would have come and searched for it for you if they had been open. It may sway them a little on charges as it isn't you fault they are closed to the public at the moment. This is the e-mail address - archives@nottscc.gov.uk
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I only paid £6 in person at my local Liverpool Court for the records to be sent through the post from York so £25 seems a bit steep for a photocopy as that is what you will get.
        http://www.origins.net/help/aboutNWI-ymed-bi.aspx Borthwick Institute

Edna

Just realised you are in Aus and cant get to a local Court
        Last edited by clematised; 24-11-14, 12:38.

Comment

I think if Kyle e-mails them Edna they will explain more fully what exactly will be sent or e-mailed or whatever, before he parts with anything. The lady I spoke to wasn't actually in their building and was only quoting me what she thought.
          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-11-14, 12:53.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

This is the form I used.
            Fill in the details for General Search (1858 to present day) not Standing Search (Date must be within last 6 months).

Cost is £10. doubled in price since I last used it.
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 24-11-14, 12:55.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Kat last time someone on here tried from Canada to get records via the form they were not accepting credit cards from outside the UK so I got the records for them and e mailed them, that was a while ago so don't know if that has changed since.

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                This is the form I used.
                Fill in the details for General Search (1858 to present day) not Standing Search (Date must be within last 6 months).

Cost is £10. doubled in price since I last used it.
                I would imagine that if the will required is from the Exchequer Court of York then it will be a pre-1858 will, so you would probably have to approach the Borthwick Institute for it.

Edit: See the link for the dates.
                Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 24-11-14, 13:26.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

This is what FMP says, confirming the Borthwick Institute as the repository.

Learn about these records

What can these records tell me?

Each record contains a transcript and an image of the original index. These are not the full wills but an index of all the wills filed. The originals can be found at the Borthwick Institute for Archives. The amount of information varies but you can find out the following about your ancestor.

• Last name of testator
                  • First name of testator
                  • Place, usually of death, but sometimes where the testator had at some time been living; this field usually, but not always, contains the parish.
                  • County, or country if not England or Wales
                  • Court where probate was granted: P = Prerogative Court of York; E = Exchequer Court of York
                  • Document type
                  • Date of probate (year and month)
                  • Source document reference (for use by the Borthwick Institute)
                  • Index reference (see below)
                  • Index note present: if this field contains "Yes" it means that there is a marginal note in the original index entry.
                  Although over 80% of the records relate to Yorkshire, people from all over the British Isles and abroad had property in the Province of York, and had their wills proved in the Prerogative or Exchequer Court of York.
                  There is often more information available on the image so please do remember to check it.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:
                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

On any record for which you find a will, FMP provide this link for ordering:

http://www.york.ac.uk/borthwick/remote-services/copying/order-form/

Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                      I would imagine that if the will required is from the Exchequer Court of York then it will be a pre-1858 will, so you would probably have to approach the Borthwick Institute for it.

Edit: See the link for the dates.
                      http://search.findmypast.co.uk/searc...ndex-1688-1858
                      A search of the probate records for England and Wales from 1858 to the present day.

The link clearly shows this.

If you don't have FMP then I'm not sure you would get that link Elizabeth. Having got FMP I cannot see if it works or not.

My link isn't out of date but perhaps they have moved them to Borthwick since I last ordered one 3 years ago
                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 24-11-14, 14:34.
                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

thank you everyone for the help. elizabeth is right, the wills database is for pre 1858, and thank you for the link to order. there is a probate i would like to check out.

Comment

When I ordered a will from the Borthwick Institute in 2007 it was sent to me on a CD.

Comment

Working...
                          X