Australian Death Certificates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Death Certificates.

What information do you get on these certs please? eg Does it give parentage , date of birth, place of birth?
    The time period I'm looking at is around 1880-1890. Adelaide, South Australia.
    Thank you
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 22-11-14, 23:57.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Not exactly sure with South Australian certificates, but usually (Queensland & NSW anyway)

Date & Place of Death
    Name & Occupation
    Name & occupation of Father
    Name & maiden surname of Mother
    Informant
    Registration Details
    When & where buried & name of Undertaker
    Name & religion of Minister & Names of witnesses at burial
    Where born & how long in Australian colonies or states
    Place of marriage, age, & to whom
    Children of marriage (living & deceased) - sometimes only e.g. 2 males, 3 females / otherwise names & ages

Comment

A lot depends on the informant though, and their state of mind. If they did not know the parents names of the deceased or where or when born, they usually leave it blank, or even have a bit of a guess. I have a death certificate that says born in Scotland, but I am sure he was born in Ireland, no parents, spouse or children stated - he died a long way from the rest of his family, and may have been estranged from them, and the man who did the death registration may not have known they existed.
      Last edited by dicole; 23-11-14, 05:53.
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

The following site tells you exactly what you can expect to find on an Aussie certificate, which varies depending on the state and time period in question:

What you can expect to see on an historical Australian Birth, Death or Marriage certificate.

For South Australia prior to 1907, the death certs had only name, date, place of death, age, occupation & cause of death - much like English certs of the time.
        Last edited by Richard in Perth; 23-11-14, 06:01.

Comment

sorry - double post
          Last edited by Richard in Perth; 23-11-14, 06:01.

Comment

Thanks all.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
            X