help please cant find my ggrantfather and ggrandmother in Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please cant find my ggrantfather and ggrandmother in Scotland

Can anyone find my Ggrandfather Thomas McDonald born in Barrhead 1856,he died in New Zealand on Jan 9 1916 . His parents names are Neil McDonald and Marion Auld ,I have a copy of his marriage cert and death cert and from the dates it would appear that he came to New Zealand about 1874 when he was 19,his death cert says he was in NZ 42 years . He married Minnie Phillips in Waverley NZ in 1883 6 March and the cert says he was 27. I have through extensive searching found a log by Densie Johnson who must be a cousin of mine .She was also searching for Thomas and she posted that the Barrhead 1861 census has a Neil McDonald age 35 with daughter Isabella 10 and son Thomas 7 and daughter Cathrine 4 this may be him with his father and brother and sister no mention of his mother she may have been away ? As yet I have not located Denise who I am also looking for as she may have answers for me . I have not been able to find him on any passenger lists either so don't know were he landed in NZ ,I think it mush have been in the north island as Waverley is located there and my grandfather was born near that location in Manutahi also close to Waverley.

The only marriage I could find (and which seems very likely) is:

Name: Neil Macdonald
    Spouse's Name: Marion Auld
    Event Date: 28 Jul 1849
    Event Place: Eastwood,Renfrew,Scotland
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M11562-5 , System Origin: Scotland-ODM , GS Film number: 1041057

Children to this couple are:

Name: Isabella Wilson Macdonald
    Christening Place: , EASTWOOD, RENFREW, SCOTLAND
    Birth Date: 25 Aug 1850
    Birthplace: , Eastwood, Renfrew, Scotland
    Father's Name: Neil Macdonald
    Mother's Name: Marion Auld
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11562-5 , System Origin: Scotland-VR , GS Film number: 1041056 , Reference ID: 2:17F2J29

Name: Catherine Mcdonald
    Birth Date: 23 Nov 1856
    Birthplace: NEILSTON,RENFREW,SCOTLAND
    Father's Name: Neil Mcdonald
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11572-1 , System Origin: Scotland-ODM , GS Film number: 6035516

Name: Marion Mcdonald
    Birth Date: 02 Nov 1859
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11572-1 , System Origin: Scotland-ODM , GS Film number: 6035516

Name: James Mcdonald
    Birth Date: 16 Jan 1858

Have you found this family in 1861 and 1871 to establish, at least, there is a Thomas in the family?

Comment

In 1861 the family is at Craigheads, Neilston, Renfrewshire as follows:

Neil McDonald Head Married Male 35 1826 Printfield Lab Pollokshaws, Renfrewshire, Scotland
      Isabella McDonald Daughter - Female 10 1851 Tearer In Printfield Mearns, Renfrewshire, Scotland
      Thomas McDonald Son - Male 7 1854 - Barrhead, Renfrewshire, Scotland
      Catherine McDonald Daughter - Female 4 1857 - Barrhead, Renfrewshire, Scotland

Comment

In 1851 the family is at Wilson of Sim Land, Mearns,Renfrewshire as follows:

Neil McDonald Head Married Male 26 1825 Calico Printer Eastwood, Renfrewshire, Scotland
        Marrion McDonald Wife Married Female 21 1830 - Eastwood, Renfrewshire, Scotland
        Isabella W McDonald Daughter Unmarried Female 0 1851 - Eastwood, Renfrewshire, Scotland
        Marion McRay Visitor - Female 6 1845 - Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
        John Martin Visitor Unmarried Male 26 1825 Calico Printer Dunipace, Stirlingshire, Scotland

As these folks are your direct ancestors, it would be important to get hold of ant original documents (census, BMDs, etc) so you can satisfy yourself that this is the right family

Comment

Neil McDonald, b. abt 1826 Pollockshaws, Renfrewshire and Marion Auld , b. abt 1830, eastwood Renfrewshire, were married in 1849 in Eastwood, Renfrewshire. I have found the image for the proclamation of banns on the Scotland's People site.

In the 1851 census, they were living in Newton, Renfrewshire, where Neil gave his occupation as a calico printer. Also in the household is Isabella W. Mcdonald aged 6 months, daughter, John Martin,26, calico printer, visitor and Marion McKay, 6 years, visitor.

You already have the 1861 census, with Neil (35 yrs, b. Pollockshaws Renfrewshire), Isabella (10, b. Mearns, Renfreshire), Thomas (7 yrs, b. Barrhead Renfrewshire) and Catherine (4 yrs, b. Barrhead Renfrewshire)

In 1871, I found the youngest child, Catherine, living with her grandmother at 66 McNeil st Hutchesontown, Glasgow.

Bella Auld, (Head)66 yrs, b. Rutherglen Lks;Ann Auld, daughter, 20, b. Kirkintillock Dumbartonshire; Isabella Mcdonald, grand daughter,19 , b. abt 1852 Newton Mearns Renfrewshire; Catherine Mcdonald, grand daughter, 14,b. Barrhead Renfrewshire; Thomas Auld, grandson, 6 yrs, b. Glasgow; Richard Auld, grandson, 4 yrs, b. Glasgow.

At a guess, I would say you are correct in supposing Thomas to have emigrated abt 1871. It is quite likely his mother died after the birth of Catherine which would explain her absence from the 1861 census.

The family seems to have changed residence quite often but the occupations remain linked to the textile industry.

Beverley

Comment

On ScotlandsPeople there is a Thomas McDonald born 1855 Abbey, Renfrewshire. There are no other Thomas Mc or MacDonald born Renfrewshire 1855-57.

Abbey registration district covers parts of Barrhead, the rest of it is Neilston registration district.

The online SP doesn't allow for entering mother's maiden surname as a search term but I think this is worth pursuing as it's a birth in our "golden" year - the first year of civil registration in Scotland. 1855 certificates contain a wealth of information that you won't get in later years including the siblings (alive and dead), the ages and birthplaces of both parents and their usual residence. You also get date and place of the parents' marriage.

Such a wealth of detail was unsustainable and was reduced from 1856; information on siblings was removed, as were ages and birthplaces of parents and date and place of parents' marriage. From 1861 though, the date and place of parents' marriage was reinstated.

I hope it turns out to be your Thomas

Comment

I have viewed that birth for the 20th October 1855, on SP and the father is given as James MacDonald, foreign merchant of Calcutta and Catherine MacDonald, MN King-Auld. The certificate states that Thomas was her 6th child (2 boys and 3 girls living) and that she married James in 1838, Paisley.

With such a wealth of information, it seems a pity it is not likely to be the right Thomas MacDonald.

If he was born in 1854, he would not be on the Statutory Registers....I have not checked the OPs very thoroughly

Beverley

Comment

All born Eastwood, Renfrew

Father's name: Thomas Auld
                Mother's name: Isobel Wilson

Married 22 Jan 1825 Eastwood Renfrew

Issue: 1. Marion Auld, b. 27 Feb 1826 (presumably died young)
                2. John Auld, b. 26 Feb 1828
                *3. Marion Auld, b. 1 Jan 1830
                4. William Auld, b. 18 Jan 1832

*"Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTNV-6YW : accessed 19 Nov 2014), Marion Auld, 01 Jan 1830; citing , Eastwood, Renfrew, Scotland, reference 2:17F1R66; FHL microfilm 1041056.

Beverley

Comment

Hi Bertie, thanks for your help , from what I can gather Thomas may have been a nephew who came to live with them at some point. I will work on getting a copy of marriage cert for Neil and Marion and birth cert for Thomas .I am not positive that Marions name is correct as it was very hard to decipher and I got it from the log that Densie posted Thanks Jackie

Comment

Working...
                  X