Family Historian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Historian

For those who are interested, I've just had an email saying that version 6 is being released on 9th December...some details here: http://bulletins.family-historian.co.uk/?20141117
    It looks good!
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Yes, it does look good, I'm getting quite excited, I wonder what other goodies Simon has programmed in.

Margaret.
    Margaret

Comment

How much will it cost to upgrade? I love my Family Historian.
      Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 19-11-14, 17:31.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

£25.50 plus p&p for the CD, from My History and S&N, the download will be cheaper. I don't know what operating system you use but it's not for XP which means that I'll have to upgrade if I want it. There are a couple of screen shots on th FH web site and some info on the fhug forum.

Margaret.
        Margaret

Comment

Thanks, Margaret.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Hello Margaret/Rusty - is that for that complete program or an upgrade from version 5?
            Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Hello Linda, That is the upgrade price from either My History or S & N for the CD, the download is cheaper, I think that the full program is about £35, the prices are on their web sites. The programme details that have been announced so far are on the FH web site and on their Facebook page.

Margaret.
              Margaret

Comment

Many thanks.
                Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

The latest news from Calico Pie is that they have arranged some sort of tie in with My Heritage so that we can get hints, some will be free others will be through a sub to My Heritage, not sure if I like the thought of that, hopefully it will be something that can be turned off.

Margaret.
                  Margaret

Comment

Oh, my - would this be similar to FTM's sync'd trees?

Comment

Not sure PhotoFamily, the whole article is here (if the link works!), http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...g#.VHMdc4tv74Y I got the impression that it was only for the MyHeritage database, but it struck me that MyHeritage will be getting lots of new subscribers through the back door so to speak. I think that I'll cancel my letter to Father Christmas until I know a bit more, what has struck me is that the FH6 announcement hasn't been mentioned much on either the fhug user group forum or the fh forum, so I'm wondering if others are having misgivings too.

Margaret.
                      Margaret

Comment

Think I shall wait until my Birthday next year, by which time it will be much clearer. Thank you for the heads up.
                        Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Surely it would be optional to take out a MyHeritage sub?
                          I wasn't planning to update just yet anyway, I'm perfectly happy with FH5 and not really seeing anything that I "must have" in FH6. I usually lag a good few months behind anyway .... let others sort out any problems!!
                          Anne
                          Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 25-11-14, 11:28.

Comment

Anyone using MyHeritage? Does it have records that aren't available on Ancestry, FS or FMP?

Comment

The My Heritage option can be turned off at install or later on using preferences. If you put your tree on My Heritage is completely optional and it wlll work for lookups without putting your tree up.
                              Jane
                              Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
                              "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

I shall upgrade, but that's one site I shall definitely avoid - I joined in 2007 to see how the tree bit worked and then left it alone. They changed the goalposts and my tree was deemed to now be too small but I left it there and occasionally went back to see what had changed. Record matches are US based and it insists that my people who never left England appear in the US census and other records even after they've died!! They say that they match down to the children's names - no they don't.

I also seem to have been "grabbed" and attached to two other trees somehow - ones with no matches whatsoever with my tree but theirs are VERY big. Since my tree is too big/small I couldn't reject Smart matches which are rubbish and so it goes on .... and on ....
                                Caroline
                                Caroline's Family History Pages
                                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I must admit the Smart matching I saw during the Beta was pretty good and it's come on a long way since the early days, 7 years is a LONG time in computing. As you can match on just Records and ignore members trees also you don't need to upload your tree at all if you don't want to.
                                  Jane
                                  Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
                                  "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Originally posted by jtaubman View Post
                                    I must admit the Smart matching I saw during the Beta was pretty good and it's come on a long way since the early days, 7 years is a LONG time in computing. As you can match on just Records and ignore members trees also you don't need to upload your tree at all if you don't want to.
                                    It was last week and then yesterday that I doubled checked after seeing the FH announcement as a long term user and supporter of the software. My concern was about those who seemed to attach my tree to theirs wily nily. If you ever had any sort of tree there in the early days if your tree is larger than the basic trial one then you can do virtually nothing on the site for editing and for a while it wasn't even possible to delete one's tree unless you upgraded but that has now been sorted and my tree has gone.

As I said I shall ignore that aspect as I do the website building part.
                                    Caroline
                                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                                    X