Help finding more about Ellen Thompson Cusick b1871

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding more about Ellen Thompson Cusick b1871

I have Ellen Thompson Cusick marrying William Munn in 1891 http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/49...l=ReturnRecord

She gives her father as Thomas Cusick an earthenware dealer. I can't find her before this date, no census and no birth.

Here she is with husband William in 1901 http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/78...l=ReturnRecord where she says she was born in Birmingham.

I have her death in 1952 in Wolverhampton and her age given then of 78 gives a year of birth of 1874. I can't see any births in the Birmingham area for 1871 - 1874.

Can anyone see what I am missing?
    Name variations are an issue with spellings ranging from Cusack to Cuzick and any mangled version in between.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Margaret

Could be she was born illegitimately as Ellen Thompson but either knew that her natural father was Thomas Cusick or this was a step father's name.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
      Could be she was born illegitimately as Ellen Thompson but either knew that her natural father was Thomas Cusick or this was a step father's name.
      Good thinking. I think I did look for a birth under Thompson but not sure I did the census so I'll have a go at that.
      Margaret

Comment

There is a Ellen THOMPSON living in 43 Moorsom Street in the 1891 census, a few doors from the address given on the marriage certificate 3 months later- she is the right age and born Birmingham. Father is shown as a William though, but that family might be worth investigating (but may be just a coincidence).
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
          There is a Ellen THOMPSON living in 43 Moorsom Street in the 1891 census, a few doors from the address given on the marriage certificate 3 months later- she is the right age and born Birmingham. Father is shown as a William though, but that family might be worth investigating (but may be just a coincidence).
          That looks really useful. Have you got the link please only I can't see it at the moment.
          Margaret

Comment

I have now found Ellen Thompson in 1891 thanks.

Nothing before or after for William or Phoebe so a bit of digging to track them backwards but I think there is something there because Ellen is 18 years old but the next child William is 5 years old so I am thinking Ellen has been brought to the marriage and shown as Thompson for ease.

Margaret

Comment

1871 there is an Ellen Thompson born abt 1871 Warwickshire Birmingham with parents Edward and Elizabeth Thompson
              living at Sherborne Road Walkers Buildings Kings Norton

Comment

this one is interesting going to see if I can find it on ancestry Father William have children born
                and Ellen 1871

RG10
                Piece number
                Folio
                Page

Comment

wonder if the two youngest children were their grandchildren maybe and not theirs ?

Comment

Thanks Val all helpful since there is nothing for the name Cusick.

I have been trying to get the marriage for William and Phoebe Thompson as in 1891 they are living in the street where Ellen Thompson Cusick gets marriage from 3 months after the census.

I have tried Phoebe Cusick - nothing

I have tried Phoebe Donaghue - nothing (there is Annie Donaghue shown as sister in law in the 1891 census).

Will keep on looking.
                    Margaret

Comment

sorry not with you William and Phoebe who?

Comment

do you mean a marriage for a Phoebe Thompson to a William ? if so there is one in 1875 Warwickshire Birmingham William Gledhill

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          sorry not with you William and Phoebe who?
                          Sorry Val it was this one http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/65...l=ReturnRecord

Moorsom Street is the address given by Ellen Thompson Cusick in 1891 when she married. Not the same number house though but looking promising as the only other sibling is aged 5 years so maybe Ellen came with wife Phoebe to the marriage.
                          Margaret

Comment

what about William Thompson and a Phoebe Fanny Thompson in Mar quarter 1862 West Wallsall Staffordshire 6B 621

Comment

did you see their son William was blind on the 1891 census poor kid

Comment

what about William Thompson and a Phoebe Fanny Thompson in Mar quarter 1862 West Wallsall Staffordshire 6B 621
                                Thanks for that Val, although if it is the one it does blow my theory out of the water in relation to Ellen being born before the marriage and the reason for her to give Cusick as her surname.

I am also a bit confused about the Annie Donaghue in 1891 listed as sister in law which should make Phoebe's surname Donahue too!

Margaret

Comment

there are quite a few Ann Thompsons born in Sheffield Yorkshire around 1867 in fact there is an Annie Thompson born Dec quarter 1867 Sheffield Yorkshire 9C 333
                                  Last edited by Guest; 17-11-14, 17:53.

Comment

Ephraim John Donoghue born Dec quarter 1889 Warwickshire Birmingham 6D 114

Comment

Ephraim John Donoghue born Dec quarter 1889 Warwickshire Birmingham 6D 114
                                      Yes I saw that but don't think it helps me as his mother Annie is single so he's illegitimate and there would be no other information on his birth reg about her origins.

I can't see Annie and Ephraim after 1891 not the Thompson family before or after 1891!!

Bloomin' elusive lot

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                      X