help with ancestry please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with ancestry please

got myself a new family tree maker with free access to ancestry so I am happily playing around attaching records etc to my tree. Found a few that I had not seen before so quite exciting but the one that I want to attach to my tree I can not find but I know it is on ancestry as I have seen it before. It is the admission register for the metropolitan district school. Maria BUTLER and Charles BUTLER were admitted 1878 (I think). I know it is there as they are described as each others closest living relation. But I have search different records on there including the school registers but its not showing itself to me
    Maria butler b 1870 and Charles butler b 1867 approximately
    If anybody can supply me the link please.

Is this the one ?

The records of schools throughout the world have become a valuable source of information. They offer insight into the history of the schools and their students and sometimes include pictures. Like some other types of records, they became more comprehensive after the turn of the twentieth century.
    AUDREY

Comment

that's what I have been searching but she doesn't show up on there

Comment

Is this them in 1871? just establishing birth places.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

There isn't a Metropolitan district school listed under any of the London Boroughs. How sure are you that is correct? Where did you find that out from?
          Kat

Comment

You'll find them in South Metropolitan School District Register of Children Sutton 1872 - 1887 in the London Metropolitan Archive Poor Law and Board of Guardians records.
            Choose Greenwich as Borough, Woolwich as Parish and Registers of Children as Record Type
            Here's the page where they appear. http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/15...6_189775-00813
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Well done Judith, LMA PL & B of G never came up as an option when I searched. How did you initialise your search?
              Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                Well done Judith, LMA PL & B of G never came up as an option when I searched. How did you initialise your search?
                I've found relatives before in the PL & Bof G collection when they've been in workhouse chools, I also remembered an relative of mine was an inmate in the Sutton schools and had an idea they were called South Metropolitan Schools, so looked them up on Google which showed me what Parishes operated them and went from there.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks for that Judith. I don't have many from the London area so find the Boroughs very confusing.
                  Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                    Is this them in 1871? just establishing birth places.
                    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...off=&ml_rpos=1
                    no that's not them although it appears to be the family especially as maria says her father is William when she marries but the Maria on that one goes onto marry somebody else... cant remember his name at the minute.....

Comment

yes thank you Judith that's what I was after although there is another page somewhere that says they are each others closest living relation.

Now my next question is what archives and where would I find the minutes of the meetings for when they were admitted. I know I have been over this before but kept giving up with it. But I would really like to find some more details about her.

Comment

Working...
                      X