Trying to trace family for rediscovered WW1 (unknown) soldier's diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to trace family for rediscovered WW1 (unknown) soldier's diary

This has appeared on FaceBook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/devonfhs/?fref=nf), so I don't know how far people have got with it. It's from a story that looks as if it's only just appeared in the Plymouth Herald. It looks as if it belonged to a local lad... subject to the fact that people in the forces get posted all over the place, of course!

(You may have to do battle with a Vodafone ad! :( )

I'm singing in a concert today, so I can't even make a start, but I now that FTF folks are good at that sort of thing. I shall expect The Team to have it all solved by the time I get a chance to come back and look! ;)

Good Hunting!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Someone has posted on the FB page that:
    There are details on the Plymouth Herald comments where a reader says: James HOCKADAY , he is mentioned in the Plymouth List of War Dead, private, service no 203528, died on the 21/5/1918, aged 29, Dorsetshire Regiment, 1st Batt, mention on the Arras Memorial in France as an unknown, son of Mrs HOCKADAY, 3 Stoke Terrace, Crownhill, Devon and husband of Elsie HOCKADAY, of 45 George Street, Stonehouse, Plymouth.
    "3 Stoke Terrace, Crownhill, Devon" is one of the addresses apparently noted in the front of the diary - and thought to be close (?family, ?friends).
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 15-11-14, 11:43.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've had a quick look (couldn't resist!) on FMP

There are four HOCKADAY/BASSETT children recorded 1915-1918, including twin girls and a son who would never have known his father, if it's the right family.

b 1918q2 Plympton
      b 1916q3 Plympton
      b 1916q3 Plympton
      b 1915q3 Plympton
      m 1915q2 E Stonehouse HOCKADAY James H BASSETT Elsie
      Hope that helps! FMP have baptism records which show that the HOCKADAY family were Wesleyan Methodists.

Comment

James H Hockaday married Elsie Bassett June 1915 E.Stonehouse ref 5b 840.

piffle - have to go for lunch now.
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 15-11-14, 12:25.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Ivy Irene Hockaday born 8th July 1915 died agust 1984 as Ivy Irene Coombe - Plymouth aged 69. Husband Ernest Walter died Dec 1980.
          Appears to be 5 children born between 1934 and 1953 - 4 boys 1 girl.

Comment

James Henry Hockaday born 10th March 1918 died March 1989 in Plymouth. I believe that he may have had 4 children between 1947 and 1959 - 3 boys (two of which were twins) and 1 girl. The wife of one of the twins appears to have a tree on GR.

Doing a free search on 192 the twin, his wife and a son appear to still be alive. This twin would be the grandson of the man who wrote the WW1 log.
            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 15-11-14, 14:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
              James Henry Hockaday born 10th March 1918 died March 1989 in Plymouth. I believe that he may have had 4 children between 1947 and 1959 - 3 boys (two of which were twins) and 1 girl. The wife of one of the twins appears to have a tree on GR.

Doing a free search on 192 the twin, his wife and a son appear to still be alive. This twin would be the grandson of the man who wrote the WW1 log.
              Hi, Chrissie.

I hope it's acceptable to you. I have copy-pasted your post onto the Devon FH Group on FaceBook, hoping that someone there will carry that info back to the person who is trying to get the book back to the relevant family.

Comment

No problem Christine

Comment

If you'd like to read the outcome - and battle your way past the adverts that plague the page! (but probably help to keep it free.)

and this one:
                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 06-12-14, 16:09.

Comment

Thank you Christine, that's great news. Mandy sent me the first page when it came out, but I have been wondering if they had contacted the family's address that I gave her yet and whether the family were interested in the diary. It sounds as though they are thrilled with it.
                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 06-12-14, 16:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                      Thank you Christine, that's great news. Mandy sent me the first page when it came out, but I have been wondering if they had contacted the family's address that I gave her yet and whether the family were interested in the diary. It sounds as though they are thrilled with it.
                      Yes - it's really pleasing how well it's come out. In addition, Family Tree Forum did get a passing mention.

Christine

Comment

Yes, I was pleased to see FTF mentioned

Comment

Working...
                        X