Anyone able to read this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone able to read this?

Hi, I'm having a closer look at someones war record and trying to work out a timeline but I can't make out this part, it's for his Rank & Character on Discharge. Can anyone else possibly help me please?

tubridy.jpg
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

It says Exemplary

Which regiment was he in? The rank could be few things
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

There's 2 but from what I can make out he was in the 8th Hussars first, the record is actually on that Hallelujah thread I posted on the 9th.

Comment

Trooper
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Ann, I knew he must have had an Army Record as my Nazareth letter does say that he was a Staff Instructor for the Army, plus we had a picture of a soldier in the Tubridy Family but I didn't believe it was Thomas, now however I do. I've searched Wikipedia for the 8th Hussars who have this to say:
          The 8th Hussars returned to England in 1919, and embarked almost immediately for India where they spent less than a year. They were soon ordered to Mesopotamia in order to deal with various native insurrections at Medali which they put down, moving from there to Egypt. In 1923, the Regiment moved back to York and completed a three-year tour as part of the occupation forces in Germany from 1926–1929. They then returned to Aldershot, and received their first motorised transport for the machine gun squadron. In 1934, the 8th moved to Abassia in Egypt. Their particular brand of soldiering was at an end after 242 years; the King's Royal Irish Hussars had their horses replaced with 15 Cwt Ford V8 pick-up trucks mounted with Vickers Berthier machine guns.[17] The last mounted parade was held at Coombe Hill in the desert near Cairo on 11 November 1935 where the three sabre squadrons and mounted band "trotted past, wheeled and galloped" for the GOC, Army of the Nile.[17] In 1936, the regiment helped quell civil unrest in Palestine and then returned to Egypt as part of the Matruh Mobile Force.
          The date on the record has the 18th November 1919 for India.

Comment

Working...
          X